More inteface wonkiness (updated)

2501   12   0
378 posts
Here's a video showing the transform handle disappearing and tool settings not being transferred to the (edit) node.
The disappearing handle happens a lot, not just in this specific case. Things like this can really slow you workflow down significantly.

I might add a few other thing to this thread in time. I find it hard to work with a software where such fundamental things are so unreliable.
Edited by OneBigTree - June 11, 2020 15:29:16
378 posts
Here's the next one:

In this video I demonstrate the weird connection between the “hide other objects” switch for object context and the “switch lo local context view” function, which is not a bug but a major oversight in my opinion. It also shows how Houdini tries to do things without being asked to and not being helpful at all. Please don't make decisions for the user unless the user asks for it.

378 posts
After some time I opened Houdini again to do some work. But as things are, instead of doing some work I had to start to investigate new camera bugs. Another two hours wasted. Here is what's happened:
7737 posts
Uninstall redshift
378 posts
jsmack
Uninstall redshift
Erm, you mean I need to uninstall my main production tool only to be able to use Houdini? Without Redshift Houdini is even more useless to me.
The ongoing trouble with Redshift and the Houdini camera system only supports my view that this is in desperate need of an overhaul.
Edited by OneBigTree - June 11, 2020 15:33:48
7737 posts
Redshift is compatible only with specific builds of Houdini. Remove Redshift from the environment for builds of Houdini that are incompatible.

As for Redshift constantly breaking Houdini, take it up with them.
378 posts
jsmack
Redshift is compatible only with specific builds of Houdini. Remove Redshift from the environment for builds of Houdini that are incompatible.

As for Redshift constantly breaking Houdini, take it up with them.

I don't think they can do much if the something in the camera code changes in every Houdini build. It never broke for SI or max or maya. In fact Houdini is the only software I have encountered where a third party renderer can mess up viewport cameras.
Edited by OneBigTree - Aug. 19, 2020 17:02:22
378 posts
Here is a new one:
7737 posts
OneBigTree
Here is a new one:

Did you file a bug? It definitely shouldn't be like that when secure selection is off.

For now, holding ‘s’ allows new box selections, as if secure selection were on.
378 posts
jsmack
OneBigTree
Here is a new one:

Did you file a bug? It definitely shouldn't be like that when secure selection is off.

Not yet filed a bug. I assumed someone had already since it is in for a very long time. No way no one else had noticed it New means new video, not “new bug”.
I know about “s” but as you say this is like secure selection and it should be for sec selection only. It all seems mixed up.
Edited by OneBigTree - Aug. 19, 2020 17:05:16
7737 posts
OneBigTree
jsmack
OneBigTree
Here is a new one:

Not yet filed a bug. I assumed someone had already since it is in for a very long time. No way no one else had noticed it New means new video, not “new bug”.
I know about “s” but as you say this is like secure selection and it shouldn't be. It all seems mixed up.

I submitted a bug describing the issue. Perhaps it's by design, we'll see.
378 posts
Thanks. I don't think it is by design since it clearly contradicts settings in the prefs.
7737 posts
OneBigTree
Thanks. I don't think it is by design since it clearly contradicts settings in the prefs.

agreed
  • Quick Links