Export to Linear? - What is the correct workflow?

1040   2   0
17 posts
Hi!

My question is about rendering fx to linear / the workflow for linear.

I have a shot in Nuke that is in log/raw. I captured a still and used it as a projection onto cabin geometry built using photogrammetry. There I created an RBD sim and Pyro where the whole thing blows up! Time to render. BUT, now that the FX are all in 2.2 gamma (right?) and the cabin is still that linear image. Can I export the FX to a linear format or do I grade my image down in NUKE and re-project the image onto the cabin and then export?

Thanks,

Das

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (703.4 KB)

7733 posts
DasBK
now that the FX are all in 2.2 gamma (right?)
wrong. Unless rendering directly to jpg, nearly all renderers will output as linear. Especially when output is exr. There aren't any extra steps to bring raw renders into nuke.
17 posts
Im wondering how I get the FX to be in the same color range as my plate - correct workflow. The plate comes into (Nuke) I apply LUT, then export with LUT to reverse the colorspace back to linear. In between those LUTS, i work in some sort of graded area. When I work in Houdini, and I need an image to project (in my case I have a Cabin that I am going to destroy), SO - do I export the linear image onto the cabin in Houdini or a LUT image?
  • Quick Links