Duplicate instance VOP Node

1681   5   0
53 posts
Hi all.

I wondering is there any way to have multiple instances of an attribute vop network? It's important for me to update all the instances when the network of one of them changed.
2528 posts
Have you thought about converting it to an HDA?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
53 posts
Enivob
Have you thought about converting it to an HDA?
Yes but I looking for a better solution, actually I'm not an expert on HDA but I think it doesn't update the other copies automatically and the others will be updated after I've saved HDA.
Edited by Mohsen_Tabasi - Feb. 2, 2020 10:55:57
242 posts
There is a really neat way of instancing networks or nodes.
Put them inside a compiled block.
Now you can use a invokeSOP to run/instance your compiled block from anywhere in your scene.
8513 posts
HDA is the only way if you want the parameters to be instanced too (at least nowadays for CVEX, there still is an option to build old school SOP type vex nodes using VEX Builder Network )

otherwise you can also just use Attribute VOP and point to any CVEX shader so also to other Attrib VOP node, which includes Wrangles as they contain Attrib VOP inside, but again, the UI will not be mirrored so only useful if you want all of them to use your Master node's parameter values or not using any

also using HDAs has big advantage of being able to edit any of the instances and apply changes to the HDA definition which will be reflected in all instances using the same definition, also you can delete any of the instances without risking deleting your “master” node
so the only disadvantage of using HDAs would be that you have to unlock, edit, save and match instead of just edit live and have changes reflected, but on the other hand it's also safer that way
Edited by tamte - Feb. 2, 2020 19:07:02
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
53 posts
Thanks a lot, guys.
  • Quick Links