Explosion render with Katana - Renderman 23 - velocity blur

3723   2   0
1 posts
Hello,

I did an explosion simulation in Houdini and I'm trying to render it in Katana using renderman 23. I need to add motion blur, for that reason I add the velocity attribute with a PxrPrimVar. (I've been following the Renderman 23 documentation)
When I submit the frame test, this crashes (the error message is: The extended attributes are inconsistent..').
Also I used velocity apply node, but it seems is not working.
The VDB volume has the temperature, density and vel attributes.

What I'm missing or how would I have this velocity blur?
Would be a problem with my vdb?

Attachments:
Screenshot (57).png (41.0 KB)
Screenshot (55).png (50.8 KB)
Screenshot (56).png (10.0 KB)

7737 posts
The first thing that occurs to me is that the vel field has a different transform than the scalar fields. I'm not familiar enough with renderman to know if that is the cause, but I do know rendering volumes with velocity blur in renderman is a testy affair. I heard from another artist that frames that render fine in mantra consume vast quantities of memory and time with velocity blur enabled that otherwise don't without.
1 posts
Hi - I'm just wondering if you ever solved this....?

I am trying to do Motion Blur on a VDB in the exact way you are... and sure enough it crashes whenever I have the primvar plugged in... I have tried it for volumes from different methods (pyro and rasterized particles) and the render crashes if either of them have the velocity primvar attached.
  • Quick Links