Making more complex curves

1780   5   0
115 posts
I seem to have stumbled onto what I can only assume is a Houdini weak spot. Curves. I have to draw a path for an object which starts and ends with some straight bits and has 2 spirals in the middle, so i made the two spiral parts using the curve tool and a twist sop, and made the straight bits using the curve tool and the odd transform. Now I need them to be one curve so i plug them all into a merge sop and then a fuse. The point order is screwed and the sort sop is of no use so I'm wondering if i really need to go back to softimage just to generate this curve, or am i missing something fundamental? Attached is the simple i've been using so you can see what I've been up to.

cheers,

A.
Edited by Andi Farhall - Feb. 26, 2020 11:00:18

Attachments:
curve_hell.hip (178.0 KB)

4 posts
I suppose you could use the findshortestpath sop to resort your points
Edited by Benny Vay - Feb. 26, 2020 11:36:22

Attachments:
curve_hell.hip (186.7 KB)

115 posts
Thanks Benny, that certainly works. To me it appears to need some convoluted thinking to have reached that solution myself but then I've only had 12 months experience at the simplest end of Houdini so my brain is still working in oldschool soft mode. Now I'm out of that hole I can crack on.

cheers,

A>
Staff
3455 posts
merge, join, sort…

can be awkward at times, Houdini is very sensitive to point order

Attachments:
curve_hell_g.hip (164.8 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
115 posts
Thanks Michael…. Infinite ways to skin a Houdini cat, and every day learn something new.

cheers,

A.
7740 posts
I find the polypath tool auto-finagles any jumble of curves pretty well.
  • Quick Links