Fedora 30 H18 build 398+ issues

3932   18   3
948 posts
Is anyone having issues to run Houdini 18 build 398+ on Fedora 30+? I can't start any version up to this one without having a fatal error, lower versions work thou.

Any ideas?
https://vimeo.com/user2163076 [vimeo.com]
26 posts
Hi mzigaib,

I am not sure if my situation is the same to you or not but I started having instant signal 11 since build 391+. Mine OS is KDE Neon 5.18.2. I recorded a gif.

https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/72303/?page=1#post-305922 [www.sidefx.com]

I haven't figured out what is going on yet.

Regards,
948 posts
I think is the same error same build that I also tested.

19125: Fatal error: Segmentation fault (sent by pid 9536)
Edited by mzigaib - March 9, 2020 02:10:37
26 posts
Hmmm, I made a bug report to SESI on my case. I would recommend you making a bug report to SESI too. So they have more information about the crash on different Linux variants, which might help to narrow down faster.
948 posts
I'll do that I just wanted to make sure that someone else had this problem.

Thanks for the feedback.
Edited by mzigaib - March 9, 2020 16:12:24
Staff
1255 posts
tung
I am not sure if my situation is the same to you or not but I started having instant signal 11 since build 391+.

Hello,

So is build 391 the very first build that had the crash? Can you confirm that build 18.0.390 or even build 18.0.389 still works?

Cheers,
Rob
7709 posts
Which desktop manager? Gnome, KDE, XFCE, or something else?
26 posts
rvinluan
tung
I am not sure if my situation is the same to you or not but I started having instant signal 11 since build 391+.

Hello,

So is build 391 the very first build that had the crash? Can you confirm that build 18.0.390 or even build 18.0.389 still works?

Cheers,
Rob
Hi Rob,

I was running b348 then installed 391 and experienced the crash, same thing with 399, 400. I cannot find the link for earlier than 391. Can you provide me the link? I am happy to testing to track down which build it started crashing.

Cheers,
Tung
7709 posts
FWIW, I just tried installing the default Fedora 31 into a VM and could not reproduce. Houdini started up fine modulo some graphics problems to be expected when running in a VM (on Windows). I then tried installing KDE Plasma, restarted and logged with Plasma and Houdini still started up fine.

PS. I needed to first run “sudo yum install libnsl mesa-libGLU-devel” before I could start Houdini though because of missing dependencies.
Edited by edward - March 9, 2020 22:10:19
26 posts
edward
PS. I needed to first run “sudo yum install libnsl mesa-libGLU-devel” before I could start Houdini though because of missing dependencies.

Hey @edward,

Interesting, how do you come up installing those extra lib? Prompting by OS or Houdini, etc.?

Indeed, I was told by Support to try installing the `libnsl` as well but it had been existed on my machine. This is how I check it
ldd $HFS/bin/houdini-bin | grep libnsl
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnsl.so.1 (0x00007f0f58e02000)
I am on KDE Neon by the way.
Edited by tung - March 9, 2020 22:26:56
7709 posts
I could tell what was missing because there was a message in the terminal each time I tried to launch Houdini about which libraries that it couldn't find. I couldn't download KDE Neon (User Edition) because the download kept failing and said that it took like 16 hours to do so.
Edited by edward - March 9, 2020 22:31:18
26 posts
edward
I could tell what was missing because there was a message in the terminal each time I tried to launch Houdini about which libraries that it couldn't find.

I got no unusual log at all on my machine as you can see in the gif.
http://imgur.com/a/kgy3z1x [imgur.com]

I am wondering if running with -foreground flag giving me more verbosity? I may try it tonight after work to see if I can see more information.

Cheers,
Tung
Edited by tung - March 9, 2020 22:54:13
7709 posts
I don't think that is the same problem that you're having because you can already run an older build of Houdini. I think I'm able to reproduce now with Manjaro 18.1.5 KDE edition in a VM.
7709 posts
ugh … good news and some bad news. I updated the packages in the VM and now it doesn't reproduce anymore.
26 posts
edward
ugh … good news and some bad news. I updated the packages in the VM and now it doesn't reproduce anymore.
So there might be some packages get updated make the issue go away.
7709 posts
I recreated the VM from scratch again and figured out the change that started causing this problem which was inadvertently introduced for a change in preparation for Python 3. To workaround this, you can copy Qt.pyand Qt.pycfrom any older 18.0 installation you have or use the attached.

Here's a set of sample steps:
cd /opt/hfs18.0.391/houdini/python2.7libs/hutil
sudo mv Qt.py Qt.py.orig
sudo mv Qt.pyc Qt.pyc.orig
sudo cp /opt/hfs18.0.389/houdini/python2.7libs/hutil/Qt.{py,pyc} .
Edited by edward - March 10, 2020 08:58:41

Attachments:
old_Qt_py.zip (8.4 KB)

7709 posts
PS. I didn't figure out why upgrading the packages on the system also seems to workaround the problem. But the error is due to problems with loading shared libraries so the package updates could have shifted things just enough to avoid it.

PPS. This issue is related to Qt so it can only show up when non-ABI compatible Qt libraries are installed on the system. The standard distros all seem to default to GNOME these days which is why it was never noticed. On Fedora 31, the Qt libraries seem to be ABI compatible enough to avoid the problem.
Edited by edward - March 10, 2020 14:57:03
948 posts
edward
I recreated the VM from scratch again and figured out the change that started causing this problem which was inadvertently introduced for a change in preparation for Python 3. To workaround this, you can copy Qt.pyand Qt.pycfrom any older 18.0 installation you have or use the attached.

Here's a set of sample steps:
cd /opt/hfs18.0.391/houdini/python2.7libs/hutil
sudo mv Qt.py Qt.py.orig
sudo mv Qt.pyc Qt.pyc.orig
sudo cp /opt/hfs18.0.389/houdini/python2.7libs/hutil/Qt.{py,pyc} .

That worked for me, Sidefx told me that a solution for this problem would be to upgrade my OS and that is always a pain, thanks for spare me of having to do that!
Edited by mzigaib - March 10, 2020 12:43:52
Staff
1255 posts
Hi All,

FYI that I committed a fix for the startup crash into tomorrow's 18.0.403 build. Please give tomorrow's build a try when it becomes available for download.

Thanks to edward for finding the workaround that led to the fix!

Cheers,
Rob
  • Quick Links