Can't import HDA

7004   5   1
375 posts
Hello in Unreal Engine 4.23 I can't import a HDA file.
So i want to check if Houdini Engine is properly installed in Unreal Engine. How can I check this?

Thanks
Gz
Houdini gamboler
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

If you cant even import an HDA file in the content browser, it likely means that the plugin is not installed..

There are multiple ways you can double check that:
- The file menu should have a couple of Houdini entries : “Open Scene in Houdini” “Restart the Houdini Session” etc.. if you dont have them, the plugin is likely not installed
- The Houdini Engine plugin should appear in the “Plugins” windows, under “Rendering”
- You should also have a “Houdini Engine” section in the project settings, under plugins.

If you have these, then the plugin is properly installed.
Do you have any errors in the logs? What OS / version of Houdini are you using?
375 posts
Hello Dpernuit, thanks for the help,
The answer to these 3 checks is negative, so Engine doesn't seem to be installed. However, I did check the Engine options during the installation of Hou 18.0.380 on Windows 10.
Is it possible to install only Engine, without installing Houdini?
Thanks
Gz
Houdini gamboler
375 posts
Hello I finally understood what was going on. The Unreal Engine (UE) version I installed was not right. During Houdini installation, one have to check for which Unreal version Houdini Engine (HE) will be compatible. If HE is compatible only with Unreal UE 4.22.3 then one has to uninstall UE and then reinstall UE 4.22.3 and then reinstall HE.
Houdini gamboler
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

The Houdini installer generally ships with the Houdini Engine plugin binaries for the latest two versions of UE4.

If you've ticked the Unreal plugin checkboxes, then the plugin files are available in the “engine/unreal/4.xx” folder in your houdini install, and to install the plugin, you simply just need to copy the “HoudiniEngine” folder to the “Plugins/Runtime” folder in Unreal.

If you need the plugin for earlier versions of UE4, you can download the plugin's source code from our github, but you'll need to build the plugin yourself with UE4.

https://github.com/sideeffects/HoudiniEngineForUnreal [github.com]
375 posts
Thanks a lot, will try this next time
Houdini gamboler
  • Quick Links