Houdini Data Interface for UE4's Niagara

50609   38   20
33 posts
Thanks Mike, I sincerely appreciate your help. I think knowing the “bad ideas” are helpful with new toys. Thanks again
3 posts
Hallo Mike,
could you please explane more to detail about how to export niagara destruction with pyro sim to UE4.
I am quite new in Houdini, I finished my first Sim and now struggle with export to UE4.
I follow your video instruction but I dont know how did you setup?

https://vimeo.com/276129739/5aa8e05a88 [vimeo.com] - Niagara ROP walkthrough.

Thank you for your great work and sorry for vaste your time.
394 posts
Which part specifically are you stuck with? I think that video covers the entire process unless I'm misunderstanding.
3 posts
Thank you for very fast reply.
I am very new in Houdini and just did not get it which dopnet node I should connect to niagara rop? I dave one with destruction, one with particles and one with pyro sim.

I would like to move all my destruction to UE4 as you did in your video https://vimeo.com/286182503 [vimeo.com]

Maybe my question is very stupid, but I really did not get that.
Thank you for your great work and patience with me.
394 posts
The destruction is exported with the vertex animation texture ROP. Not the niagara ROP. Search the forum VAT 2.0 to see how it’s done.
3 posts
Wou,
Thank you Mike … sometimes I need some push with right information and you just did it. Thank you so much …. I thought it is possible to export all in one single node.
So far I exported destruction with fbx and that is working great in UE4. So now I have next task, …. it is so helpful …. sincerely I appreciate
45 posts
I had been hoping to use the Houdini -> Niagara workflow to bring in a particle (whitewater) sim into Unreal, but I'm starting to get the sense that might not be possible with this system?

Does this only work with a set number of particles? Whitewater has varying numbers of particles per frame (though each one has an id).

I want to bring the ids and positions over time into Niagara and use them to spawn bubble meshes as the particles (not doing anything with foam or spray, just a few hundred bubbles).

The Niagara ROP doesn't seem set up for this, it seems like it's only for RBD sims, or am I misunderstanding something?

Is there a way to do this?
394 posts
It is possible, but the data interface wasn't really designed for importing large amounts of points. Point count doesn't need to be fixed. As long as the point has an id and a time attribute the data interface can import it.
16 posts
Hi mike!
1. houdini hcsv data import Niagara Cpu sim is OK, but when switch to GPU sim the particle.it disappears.
2. What's the trick to import a large number of particles into UE4? VAT? Or currently, Niagara GPU solution is not supported?

I exported CSV particle import data into UE4 in Houdini and compared it with VAT data input into UE4. A large amount of VAT particle data enters UE4 and runs faster, but the POS map data will be very large. After CSV is imported into UE4, the operation will be delayed with Niagara Runs slowly even if there are not many particles
2 posts
Hi there, firstly wanted to say thank you for such an awesome tool. I'm really loving the potential workflow this offers.

I am trying to find the .cpp files in the Private folder but they don't seem to be included with the plugin, only the Public folder .h files. Is there a github page where the development of the plugin is taking place that I might be able to take a look at?

for example, where can I find the HoudiniCSVFactory.cpp or the HoudiniCSV.cpp file for example? I want to build my own custom data interface for Niagara in C++. Being able to study how this plugin was implemented would be a great help as there really isn't much documentation on how to go about it online.

Thanks!
394 posts
kuimig
Hi mike!
1. houdini hcsv data import Niagara Cpu sim is OK, but when switch to GPU sim the particle.it disappears.
Hi kuimig. This is a known issue. We're working on a fix at the moment. We should have an update in the next month or so.

kuimig
2. What's the trick to import a large number of particles into UE4? VAT? Or currently, Niagara GPU solution is not supported?
For now, I would suggest using VAT. We have plans to improve performance with large data sets but I can't give you an ETA on when that will be available.
1 posts
Why do I use Niagara ROP to output only 1K files without data?
394 posts
You need to give more information. What are you trying to do? What is your current setup?

Also, we're releasing an update to the Niagara ROP in the next two weeks which should simplify the process.
1 posts
Hi Mike! A followup question after your UE4 livestream on April 16th - Houdini Niagara plugin was not updated in Preview 7, no new modules in Niagara to work with Houdini, when it's going to be available?
394 posts
Please refer to this thread for all future updates.
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/73075/ [www.sidefx.com]
1 posts
kuimig
Hi mike!
Hi kuimig. This is a known issue. We're working on a fix at the moment. We should have an update in the next month or so.

Hi Mike, has this been fixed in the latest 521 SideFX Labs build? Or should we just stick to VAT data in order to use GPU in UE 4.25.1 Niagara? CPU-only for Houdini sims make the whole plugin unusable for me.
4 posts
Hi Guys,
I am trying to package my game in UE4 with houdini niagra actor on it but I always got an error that says:

=================================================================================================================================
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ERROR: Missing precompiled manifest for ‘HoudiniNiagara’. This module was most likely not flagged for being included in a precompiled build - set ‘PrecompileForTargets = PrecompileTargetsType.Any;’ in HoudiniNiagara.build.cs to override.
===================================================================================================================================

I have followed the installation video tutorial exactly the same way.
For specification:
I am on Windows 10 64bit and running Unreal Engine 4.25.3

Could someone please help me how to fix issue?
Thank you in advanced!
1 posts
I'm trying to get a whitewater sim in Unreal, has a new workflow been added to Houdini or SideFX Labs to better accomplish this, or would using a VAT still be the best bet? Any resources on how to get this done would be appreciated
  • Quick Links