VFX School Film FX Tutorial

1412   1   0
41 posts
Has anyone use the VFX School tutorials? If so have you specifically gone through the Film FX course using H18? The course is initially designed for H17.

If so, I have a couple of questions for you…

1. I noticed in Week 03 tutorial, chapter 03 when the “+” is added in front of the “=” to the first line in VEXpression
@P = @P + @v * @TimeInc; the resulting animation does not have the desired effect as in the tutorial. Is this a glitch in Houdini (v17 vs 18)?

2. In Lesson 5 of Week 3 by the end of the chapter the result I get is different than what it should be. I think it has to do with the point wrangle VEXpression “v@v = v@N;” but am not sure. My model ends up with the point solver directing the particles 45 degrees upward from the grid rather than perpendicular in the X-axis as the tutorial does. I've gone over the tutorial 3 times with same result. The included HIPLC in the resource file of the same chapter also exhibits the same effect which is different than what it should be in tutorial.
H Indie | LightWave | ZBrush | Clarisse iFX | HDR Light Studio Pro | RenderMan
340 posts
I haven't seen the tutorial but
@P = @P + @v * @TimeInc;
Should not have a plus before the equal sign. You could add to the existing value of the position coordinates by:
@P += @v * @TimeInc;
That would give the same result.
Edited by Island - April 4, 2020 22:55:19
  • Quick Links