Vellum Grain pressure

1830   4   2
76 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to create simple hourglass simulation with grains. When grains come out from the most narrow point, they behave like pressured water and start to expand. I want that they just drop down. Friction and repulsion doesn't help. Maybe particles compress in the narrow area and then expand and explode out? What parameters should I look? I don't have constraints just vellum grain and solver.

Thx
Mika

Attachments:
grains.png (1.1 MB)

76 posts
I got it work but now the next problem is explosion when particles hit the collider. I have to have very high sub steps (100) that particles fall down smoothly. What attribute drives the impact? Repulsion is 10000 already.

Attachments:
explosion.png (486.0 KB)

555 posts
crankup Wind Drag

ps: don't even need collider thickness, a surface collider works….but beware, there's a thread on odforce showing even tho it collides with a surface…the collision behaviour does not quite want to obey your command unless it its a volume collider.

https://forums.odforce.net/topic/45497-particles-with-fixed-number-of-particle/?tab=comments#comment-213520 [forums.odforce.net]

pps: my substeps is default 1 !!!
Edited by vusta - April 10, 2020 00:36:16

Attachments:
Hourglass.gif (6.0 MB)

76 posts
vusta
crankup Wind Drag

ps: don't even need collider thickness, a surface collider works….but beware, there's a thread on odforce showing even tho it collides with a surface…the collision behaviour does not quite want to obey your command unless it its a volume collider.

https://forums.odforce.net/topic/45497-particles-with-fixed-number-of-particle/?tab=comments#comment-213520 [forums.odforce.net]

Im speechless. I changed to surface collider and everything started to work like out box without crazy fine-tuning! Thank you so much! Btw i was thinking that wind is literally wind but are you saying that without direction it is like air resistant?

Thanks again!
555 posts
mihatsu
vusta
crankup Wind Drag

Im speechless. I changed to surface collider and everything started to work like out box without crazy fine-tuning! Thank you so much! Btw i was thinking that wind is literally wind but are you saying that without direction it is like air resistant?

Thanks again!
I think so…that is is like air resistance.
I also see in another video where it showed you can turn down the repulsion to stop explosion, I haven't played around with it too much but you could try that too, I'm surprise to hear that surface collider works out better for you, thought it was the other way around.
Edited by vusta - April 10, 2020 17:16:25
  • Quick Links