Houdini 18, dropdown button causes "Qt Warn"

5095   10   2
41 posts
After use dropdown button, in varios houdini windows. I can see this console message:

Qt Warn: External WM_DESTROY received for QWidgetWindow(0xa12739a0, name=“RE_WindowWindow”) , parent: QWindow(0x0) , transient parent: QWindow(0x0)

Afer this warning, dropdown menus button stop working. Need restart Houdini.

Apprentice. Try different 18 builds. Same situation.
Windows 10 64.

Please someone help.

Thankyou

Attachments:
error.jpg (825.4 KB)

6 posts
Have not paid attention as to whether this happens from drop-down buttons only, but I'm getting this a lot too lately, particularly in the latest production build (18.0.416 Indie), but also remember it from earlier builds.
Edited by Stefan_Kubicek - April 1, 2020 05:52:30
Staff
1255 posts
Hello,

Please give tomorrow's 18.0.424 build a try. I committed a change that I believe fixes the “External WM_DESTROY” errors.

Cheers,
Rob
4 posts
rvinluan
Hello,

Please give tomorrow's 18.0.424 build a try. I committed a change that I believe fixes the “External WM_DESTROY” errors.

Cheers,
Rob

I think you got it. I was able to reliably reproduce this using the File -> Import -> Alembic Scene dialog, which would always throw above error and locking up the the “Load As” dropdown button. Not anymore in 18.0.424!

Thanks a lot for fixing this one Rob!

Stefan
33 posts
I haven't tried the daily build yet, but these type of QT errors seem to have been cropping up for years at this point. Ordinarily I just ignore them, but I just encountered the console window grinding to a slow crawl updating with them, then eventually crashed Houdini without a recovery file and lost some work (thankfully not more than 10 minutes or so).

Is there any environment variable or setting to simply suppress the messages even if they occur? They rarely seem to cause any actual issues besides clogging up a console window with text and the problems that can cause.
Dan Wood
Vortex VFX Ltd
Staff
1255 posts
VortexVFX
Is there any environment variable or setting to simply suppress the messages even if they occur? They rarely seem to cause any actual issues besides clogging up a console window with text and the problems that can cause.

There isn't an environment variable that can be set to suppress the WM_DESTROY warning messages. And in the past the warnings were mostly harmless but the warnings in recent builds indicated a problem with the windowing system which resulted in drop-down menus not opening to Houdini crashing instantly.

Cheers,
Rob
33 posts
Thanks. I tried out the latest daily, and so far I haven't seen another QT related warning. Looks like it's solved for the time being.
Dan Wood
Vortex VFX Ltd
63 posts
I sent this to support and they did verify that 18.0.430 has fixed the issue
806 posts
I just had the warning after I linked this thread to another one … :-D

Happened when I searched a subnetwork for some nodes, double clicked (which deleted the search window) - the warning popped up again.

Marc

P.S. That's in 18.0.430 btw.
Edited by malbrecht - April 12, 2020 12:33:38
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
6 posts
oaboraz
I sent this to support and they did verify that 18.0.430 has fixed the issue
Couldn't find anything in the 18.0.430 change list that would indicate an improvement of the situation in this specific version. The one that does list a related change, and supposedly fixes it, is 18.0.424, which is the one I've been using for a few days now. Initially I thought that the issue was resolved successfully (see my post above), but while working for some days I still get occasional warnings. One way to reproduce reliably is to install the Labs tools automatically via the SideFX Labs Shelve. Once it's done doing it's thing I get the usual pop-up window with a long list of those warnings. I had it in other situations too, albeit a lot less than before 18.0.24.

Update: Above is only valid upon first install of the SideFX Labs toolset, on successive automatic installs it didn't occur, at least for me.
Edited by Stefan_Kubicek - April 13, 2020 13:45:26
320 posts
malbrecht
I just had the warning after I linked this thread to another one … :-D

Happened when I searched a subnetwork for some nodes, double clicked (which deleted the search window) - the warning popped up again.

Marc

P.S. That's in 18.0.430 btw.
Hey Marc,

I was getting it with 0.430, installed 0.432 and haven't seen it . . . yet.
  • Quick Links