bake texture: tips?

2977   6   1
1004 posts
Any tips on making the “baketexture” (OUT) work??

I've got a geo with uvs. I've calculated the ambient occlusion and a curvature stored on point @Cd. I've promoted the @Cd from point to vertex. …so no high res mesh to project.

I don't have the game dev nodes installed at work so I need to use what I've got.

-Olivier

Attachments:
baketexturesSettings.jpg (75.1 KB)

7747 posts
Leave high res object blank if not reprojecting.

Exporting Cd doesn't work that way. Bake texture requires shader exports which is why basecolor is filled in there. Make a shader that exports Cd as something, and add that as an image plane to the bake texture rop. Or export Cd as basecolor, than turn on basecolor export.

Why store occlusion and curvature on the mesh? The bake texture rop can compute them with pixel precision. The mesh values will be coarser unless the mesh is extremely fine. Is it for performance reasons?

Another issue I found when trying to get bake texture to work is that it is not compatible with render time subdivision, so turn that off if it was on.
1004 posts
My goal is to export any mask from Houdini to Mari for texturing. My curv and AO gives me a lot more options and I also want to export any type of mask I create in Houdini through @Cd.

Nice, I'm 90% there. Thanks to you. So, I:
-assigned a principle shader with “use point color”
-kept “Cd” in the basecolor slot
-cleared the High Res Object 1 slot

I tried to export but I get a white (blank) result. When I export as .tif, I can see the outline of the uvs so something works… But instead of my @CD, I get white.

What is image planes exactly? In Maya, it means something else so I'm confused. Are they to alow exports of multiple channels in one single exr for example?

When I export with .exr and extract image plane on, I can see the Cd channel in nuke but it's still just white…
1004 posts
AHH!

So, I exported with the path: …to_mari/myGeo%(CHANNEL)s.%(UDIM)d.exr

Now I can see 2 sets of textures. ones named:
myGeo_.1001.exr

and the other:
myGeo_Cd.1001.exr

Not sure why it does both but I get my Cd now!

Thanks for the help!
1004 posts
Any way of stopping the process? Pressing escape during the baking doesn't seem to do anything…

And is there a way to speed it up? I've reduced the samples but it's still oddly slow…

-Olivier
Edited by olivierth - April 15, 2020 11:51:41
7747 posts
olivierth
AHH!

So, I exported with the path: …to_mari/myGeo%(CHANNEL)s.%(UDIM)d.exr

Now I can see 2 sets of textures. ones named:
myGeo_.1001.exr

and the other:
myGeo_Cd.1001.exr

Not sure why it does both but I get my Cd now!

Thanks for the help!

The first one is the output from the mantra render, it's a multi-plane exr containing all the planes enabled on the bake texture node.

The second is the extracted image, created by enabling ‘extract image planes’. This will be an individual aov with a post process applied and saved in the selected output format.

olivierth
Any way of stopping the process? Pressing escape during the baking doesn't seem to do anything…

It should be possible to kill it from the render manager.

olivierth
And is there a way to speed it up? I've reduced the samples but it's still oddly slow…

It depends, the post process takes some time, even for quick renders. Disabling it may speed things up a little. There is still the overhead of writing the ifd and starting mantra no matter how quick the render goes.
1004 posts
Thanks for the infos!
  • Quick Links