Isn't it time for some Houdini 18.5 action soon?

38958   72   12
233 posts
Hey everyone. Wondering if sidefx is going to surprise us with a social isolation gift of Houdini 18.5. Isn't there typically a release around this time?
833 posts
Well, I think NAB would have started on Sunday this year. I think MAXON is making some announcements next week, perhaps even AutoDesk. Adobe just updated a bunch of apps, and so did AVID.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
233 posts
Right. What about Houdini SideFX?
Edited by LukeP - April 15, 2020 11:24:28
833 posts
There is also this in mid-May, but I don't see that Cristin will actually present:

https://www.sidefx.com/houdini-hive/houdini-hive-worldwide/ [www.sidefx.com]
>>Kays
77 posts
now the daily version of H18.5 is around 200
and H17.5 released when daily version is around 170

I guess H18.5 will release in this month or next month or June
Edited by zengchen - April 15, 2020 20:43:34

Attachments:
2020-04-16_083001.jpg (40.9 KB)

My Youtube Channel [www.youtube.com]
233 posts
Hmmm. How can one get on the 18.5 beta testing to get those builds?
603 posts
H18 was the most buggy version of Houdini I've ever seen. I hope H18.5 is much more stable. LOPs was a minefield.
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
44 posts
—–> following!!

yeah! usually this should be the right period!!

hope to see soon what has been cooked for 18.5
23 posts
Who will improve Houdini towards character animation to be better than maya ? noone ?
as better in character animation as it is in VFX..
233 posts
Personally I feel that SideFX focusing on VFX would be a better bet. It would be very difficult to displace Maya unless you have something that's absolutely revolutionary from the workflow perspective, abstracting all the behind the scenes complexity.
23 posts
no need to change existing houdini , it already has several versions
I would just add one more version for animators as a separate product
that will include animation , muscles , mocap , physics.
7737 posts
WalterSullivan

They have that product, it's called Houdini FX
23 posts
No they have not , it's not as good at character animation as maya is.
I know houdini have muscles but it needs depelopment otherwise it will become maya muscles
which no one gives a damn about and everyone looks at ziva today.

you don't understand what i'm talking about when I'm saying mocap.
it's not mocap for crowd animation or something like that..
172 posts
jsmack
WalterSullivan

They have that product, it's called Houdini FX

Houdini ANIM*
I contribute to the beauty of this world
101 posts
Still no news? Not even with Siggraph?!?
833 posts
I am convinced that one of these days I'll just launch Houdini, and it will have a totally different splash screen and will say 18.5 without me having installed it!
>>Kays
29 posts
LukeP
Personally I feel that SideFX focusing on VFX would be a better bet. It would be very difficult to displace Maya unless you have something that's absolutely revolutionary from the workflow perspective, abstracting all the behind the scenes complexity.

I don't agree. Houdini is already great in VFX and Autodesk is working really hard to displace Maya themselves. Their predatory pricing policy, lack of proper development and charging for bug fix releases makes users really hate them. Just look at the Adobe/Affinity case. It took very little for a small company with a good product (and without stock investors) to initiate mass migration. They offer nothing really revolutionary, just solid software for reasonably priced perpetual license. And Adobe is literally bleeding users. I'm on a little crusade to abandon Maya/Mobu myself and I think there are more people like me.

It might be hard to take on Maya from the perspective of ‘user friendly’ programs that work on higher levels of abstraction, like Blender and Modo. Houdini, however, is almost there in my opinion. And not only to take on Maya but Motionbuilder as well. It works fine with FBXes, it supports multiple animation takes properly, all the NLA operations can be done using CHOPs. All Houdini really needs is a quick IKFK control rig wrapper for joint based bipeds (yes, joints, not bones), maybe a straightforward interface for chop network that blends animation takes, a little curves editor polishing and it's ready to go. TBH I'm already working on mocap FBX pipeline to substitute my Maya/Mobu workflow. The moment I accomplish a common task at 70% of the usual speed, I'm buying a license.
Edited by n2e - Aug. 26, 2020 10:22:31
76 posts
n2e, what are the advantages of a joint based system over a bone one?
636 posts
citizen

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/character/bonesvsjoints.html [www.sidefx.com]

Enjoy…
29 posts
citizen

Universality. You don't work with bones in game engines, mocap data doesn't come with bones either. Generally speaking “bones” is an old idea, they might be more versatile inside the app you're working with but they're also specific to that app. If you want your files outside, you use joints, period. And Blenders example shows us, that converting bones to joints on export may cause many issues.

Fortunately the link mandrake() posted isn't necessarily true, I just found out you can turn a null into a joint by adding bonelink or cregion to it. It's also not uncommon that joints DO NOT orient their aim vector towards the next node in hierarchy so the lookat node may not be necessary. If the FBX exporter in Houdini works well with such setup then I'm fine with it. As for ik solvers and such - it shouldn't be a problem either as you typically want to separate your solvers/control rig from the main joint chain anyway.

A few more words in contrary to the statements in the description [www.sidefx.com] - you actually SHOULD start learning how to rig this way if you want into gamedev. Often times you'll get an already skinned character from a client and knowing how to control it will be essential.

*UPDATE*
Now, that I read my yesterday's post, I feel like it needs some clarification. The whole idea behind joint is the ability to be independent of it's parent. This is very important in more complex rigs where you want to write shape correcting solvers. Apparently bones in Houdini can behave like this, so the whole joints/bones discussion isn't really necessary. Which is good, because my experiment with nulls din't work out yet
Edited by n2e - Aug. 28, 2020 02:24:50
  • Quick Links