Attribute paint - capture paint question

2083   4   1
73 posts
Perhaps this has already been discussed, or I'm just showing my level of ignorance, but…. why doesn't the capture layer paint node have all the same brush features as attribute paint?

Shouldn't any node that uses paint function the same?

I was recently working with capture layer paint and realized it was missing some of the great features in attribute paint.

Just curious.

Paul
7755 posts
Attribute paint is a new node created for 18.0. Not all painting workflows have been updated with the new architecture yet.
73 posts
Got it. I know nothing about coding at all, so I was thinking of it the way I think about UI's. You have a library of things, so every button is referencing a single (or a few) button designs. Change the referenced design and everything in the UI immediately updates. I just figured a brush is a brush, so update or create a new one, and propagate the features to all brushes.

I'm sure it's significantly more work than that, but I was kinda hoping it was a reasonably quick update. The new tool is pretty darned nice.

Thanks!

Paul
7755 posts
Paul Griswold
Got it. I know nothing about coding at all, so I was thinking of it the way I think about UI's. You have a library of things, so every button is referencing a single (or a few) button designs. Change the referenced design and everything in the UI immediately updates. I just figured a brush is a brush, so update or create a new one, and propagate the features to all brushes.

I'm sure it's significantly more work than that, but I was kinda hoping it was a reasonably quick update. The new tool is pretty darned nice.

Thanks!

Paul

That's not really the way HDA UI's work. Every node is fully unique, there's no reusing of UI's, even though some nodes may share similar interface elements. HDK nodes (C++ based) are different and can have some degree of inheritance.
73 posts
I wasn't talking about the UI, I was talking about the concept of things being object-oriented. So, everything that uses a brush as a tool would be pulling from the same brush library. Update or create a new tool, everything else inherits the update.

But again, I realize that's way too simplified of a concept. I was just wondering.

-Paul
  • Quick Links