Constant Crashes navigating the Network with H18

1755   5   2
9 posts
Hi,
I was wondering if other people are experiencing the same issue as we do.
We get random crashes just navigating the network view. Mostly happens when diving out of a subnets or switching a viewport.

It seems to happen more often with certain scenes.

These crashes happen all at random and we tried submitting bugs but cant find any way to reproduce the problem so the bug was not logged.

Please Sidefx look into this.

Cheers
Staff
5156 posts
Please submit a hip file that's demonstrating an unusual number of crashes, along with what sort of navigation you're doing (diving into what kind of subnets? Obj? SOP? DOP? HDAs? etc). Often these things aren't random, but a very precise set of actions that trigger it.
233 posts
I haven't experienced any of that… ran 18 latest build on Linux and Win10. I did have a lot of crashes a few months back but then realized that my MB was by default overclocking the CPU. Disabled overclocking and stability has greatly improved.
806 posts
Too many open questions to even start thinking about what could be the cause … what OS? What version of Houdini (daily unstable build or release)? What type of interaction? What data is loaded? Do the crashes appear with an empty project? Are any non-default HDAs loaded?

Without a full rundown of the environment even a “yes, it crashes for me, too, sometimes” wouldn't help as it could be completely coincidentally.

Marc

(who's experiencing “random crashes” but not with navigation but with tinkering with things in ways Marc is not supposed to tinker with things.)
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
9 posts
twod
Please submit a hip file that's demonstrating an unusual number of crashes, along with what sort of navigation you're doing (diving into what kind of subnets? Obj? SOP? DOP? HDAs? etc). Often these things aren't random, but a very precise set of actions that trigger it.

Thanks for your reply.
I have sent the crash reports to support and was told some of them are ui related and some seem to be python related.
We're only using SOP/OBJ/HDAs. It seems to happen within SOPs mostly.

3 things I noticed which usually cause these “random” crashes:
- Diving out of a subnet (viewport set to hide other objects)
- Disabling or just selecting a node (even when in manual cook mode I've experienced this)
- Switching viewport to a 2d view

We are trying to nail down the precise set of actions which trigger the crash but so far without any luck.

My main motivation to post this in the forum was to see if there might be other people out here which have experienced similar issues.

Some other details
Build: 18.0.441
Edited by microbot - April 21, 2020 12:38:21
636 posts
hey microbot,

i had lately a funny bug with the test geo Tommy (now for me crasher tommy) it crashed my houdini instantly in a special situation (with the gltf node). sadly i was thinking it was my python code that is the cause of the crashing but it wasn't.

hard to tell what could be the cause, i wish good luck.
  • Quick Links