Generate geo from substance material displacement ?

1443   4   1
39 posts
Is it possible to generate geo from materials displacement maps ? I've seen a way to do it from map on the hard drive like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVTFpMUYETI [www.youtube.com]

but not from a material.

I have plenty of sbsar materials from substance and i am trying to find an easy way to incorporate them in my zbrush sculpting workflow.

The workflow i am trying to achieve is something like this:
1. Zbrush sculpting
2. Goz the model to houdini
3. Apply one of the materials displacement to the surface
4. Goz the model back to zbrush.

So the way to achieve that is to find a way to extract the displacement from mat( maybe combine it with the normal too ? ) and use it to deform the models surface. And this should happen through the node network. Would be nice if i can extract the colors too …
So … any tips?

Thx.
Edited by SnowballWar - April 21, 2020 11:34:02
806 posts
Moin, Thx,

several ways to do this. You can use a UV-interpolate approach or an attribvop. I created a video some time ago that I removed from ConspiracyTube, but here's a screenshot from the relevant part:

Marc
Edited by malbrecht - April 21, 2020 12:02:07

Attachments:
Anmerkung 2020-04-21 180109.jpg (11.6 KB)
Anmerkung 2020-04-21 175903.jpg (208.6 KB)

---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
39 posts
Thank you for your reply.
But i can't replicate the result. Tried tweaking the parameters but without any success.
The way i see it, the problem is either with the sbsar materials ( i tried different sbsar mats with the same result ),or with my lack of knowledge with the program. I am playing around with Houdini for only a month now …
Edited by SnowballWar - April 22, 2020 14:47:37

Attachments:
dispToGeo2.hip (304.2 KB)
concrete_pavement_002_bitmap.sbsar (2.1 MB)

806 posts
Apologies, I thought you “had materials FROM substance”, as in “you converted them to something usable inside Houdini” (e.g. using the texture files, which substances basically are, directly in a principal shader).

I couldn't get the substance stuff to “flow smoothly” for me in Houdini, it turned out to be a waste of time for me, so I have to pass the torch on to someone who uses substances.

With Houdini materials it's probably pretty straight forward, since “displacement” (or bump/height) is really just “move a point in its normal direction by the amount specified in the displacement map” (or use the latter as a multiplication for some global displacement distance).

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
39 posts
Ok, thanks for the reply.
  • Quick Links