Hair not animating when using guidegroom nodes

1736   7   1
6 posts
For some sections of my groom I have been using the guidegroom nodes to manually shape the hair. Now I have applied the hair to an animated version of my model, the guides which use a guidegroom node do not update their location along with the animation.

Using the recache strokes button updates the guides location to be correct for the current frame. Is there a way for me to automatically rechace the strokes for each frame? Or is there something I have missed along the way?

To note, he parts of my groom which only use the procedural hair nodes work successfully when using an animated subject.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
7759 posts
That's to be expected. Guide groom isn't meant to be animated as it relies on a stroke cache stored in the space of the guides.

As a work around, compute a local space delta and transfer it to the animated guides, and reorient the delta into the new space.
6 posts
jsmack
That's to be expected. Guide groom isn't meant to be animated as it relies on a stroke cache stored in the space of the guides.

As a work around, compute a local space delta and transfer it to the animated guides, and reorient the delta into the new space.

Thank you very much for the reply, this is all a huge learning experience. Would you mind elaborating a bit more on this workaround? At the moment I don't really know how to go about computing local space deltas.
Edited by s024059h - April 23, 2020 08:36:44
1737 posts
Or use a guide deform, that's what it's for.

Do your groom on the static model, then a guide deform transfers your groom onto an animated model.

Groom goes to the first input, static model to the second, animated model to the third.
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
6 posts
mestela

Do your groom on the static model, then a guide deform transfers your groom onto an animated model.

Groom goes to the first input, static model to the second, animated model to the third.

Thank you for the reply. If the model im using is already animated, do you know a way to turn it into a static model which will be suitable for the second input?
7759 posts
s024059h
mestela

Thank you for the reply. If the model im using is already animated, do you know a way to turn it into a static model which will be suitable for the second input?

You need the original model before animation.
806 posts
“Static” in this context is the “pose” at which your groom is created. That might simply be a frame zero (or 1) or could be a timeshift from the animation, depending on what you are doing.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
6 posts
Working! - Thank you all for the help.
  • Quick Links