Licensing problem with Video Games

1587   3   0
22 posts
Hello,

I heard that houdini can't work in runtime, so if I want to make a game that make use of the unity plugin (for example), the final game will requiered an houdini license for all the players.
So, if in my game I need to generate different procedural maps or assets, I can't use the houdini engine and have to script everything in Unity despite the fact houdini excel in it?
Is it a rule set in stone, or is it case by case to see with the sidefx team (like the map in farcry 5, wich is made in houdini, and have an in-game editor).
Is it scheduled to have, like substance designer, a “player” that can read a .hda without the need of core engine?

Good day to you,
41 posts
You use Houdini to bake the maps/models and export them. You then import the baked maps and models into your game as assets.
22 posts
RobotHeadArt
You use Houdini to bake the maps/models and export them. You then import the baked maps and models into your game as assets.
Well, yes, and that's exactly what's bother me !
Let's say a game like minecraft where each new game need to generate a new map, how do to do that?
And that's why i'm asking about FarCry5, because they use houdini for the terrain, and there is an terrain editor avalaible for the players, so I assume it interract directly in runtime with the houdini engine?
39 posts
yeah i've tried looking into this as well as Houdini would be insane if it was able to operate at runtime to generate random maps or even just scatter geometry.

Found some posts here about people asking similar questions
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/57186/?page=1#post-266339 [www.sidefx.com]

From all my time looking and waiting, this is the closest i've seen, only works in the editor window though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_dUTntd8lA [www.youtube.com]
  • Quick Links