Extract Instances doesn't conserve position?

1667   4   1
19 posts
Hey!

I've been running through the Solaris LOPS tutorials which are pretty cool!

However, with “Tutorial 5 - FX Dept: FX”, i'm getting results that don't seem to be correct when creating the extract instances LOP node.

When I make this node, the jars all seem to lose their position, and get scattered throughout the scene. I don't know what is driving this scattering at all (it's before applying the SOP modify node which would apply the jitter).

I've even opened up the LOPS_DEMO_FILES/FXLayerRBDsetup.hip - and looking at that, the same thing is happening there (I've attached an image of this).

Is this the way it's meant to work? I don't see how this would be very useful in real world? How would I go about extracting the instances while conserving the position each object had in the input USD?

I am just trying to work out whether it's something i'm doing wrong, it's some weird bug, or whether it's intended. Cheers!

Attachments:
scrn_extractInstancesScatter_001.png (201.8 KB)

Staff
356 posts
Which version of Houdini are you on?
19 posts
Hey npetit,

I'm on 18.0.416
Staff
356 posts
There was an issue with the lop import with point instances which was fixed in a newer build.

Try 18.0.445 and up.
19 posts
ok brilliant, thanks for looking into that for me! I'll hassle my office to update to it and check it
  • Quick Links