Triangulate without a rectangular border

1064   4   1
4 posts
Hi everyone, first post here! Thanks for this forum, have been learning a lot from you all.

I’m importing Lidar data and triangulating it using triangulate2D, with the “restore initial point positions” option enabled.

Works ok, except the algorithm consistently produces a mesh with a rectangular border. These edges are undesirable for my purposes.

I think it’s just the nature of the algorithm, so unless I’m missing something, perhaps there’s a better way?
555 posts
just me foolin' around abit…not too sophisticated i must say

Attachments:
test.jpg (89.7 KB)
vu_clean2d.hiplc (572.6 KB)

4 posts
Thanks for posting an example – this illustrates well what I'm talking about. My data was fairly rectilinear, so that's how I saw and described the problem. What your picture visualizes is what I was actually trying to articulate – all of those spidery edges around the perimeter. I would love to find an approach that doesn't generate them. Of course, one could go in and remove them manually, but that would be tedious and doesn't lend well to a procedural workflow.
555 posts
et voila !!!

in the hands of a vdb expert, could probably get much cleaner results, I got no experience with VDB, TBH.

Attachments:
island.jpg (67.7 KB)
vu_LIDAR_Clean.hiplc (598.5 KB)

4 posts
Oh wow, kudos – that's a neat solution. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. This is helpful for understanding VDB a bit better as well. Thanks!
  • Quick Links