Tools for Editing Multiple Curve Point at same time

5068   7   2
620 posts
Hi,

Curve Tool can't edit multiple point. If you append an Edit Sop, you can't return back to modify topo(insert/append curve point).
I create some tools to solve it. The key idea is read Edit sop's point position and write back to Curve Sop.

Install:

1. Copy the shelf to $HOME/houdini18.0/toolbar/ (Or as you Houdini version)
2. Restart Houdini and append “Multi Curve” toolbar to shelfs.
3. Enjoy it.

How to use:

1. Run ‘New Subnet’ to create multi_curve subnet in Sop Context.
2. Dive into multi_curve subnet.
3. Use shelf tools to create/edit curve.
4. Must use Edit_Tool to edit (Avoid to generate other Edit sop).
5. Don't edit nodes in multi_curve by hand.

I want to make an HDA,but have no idea about exposing inner Edit/Curve sops handle/state out of HDA.
Thanks for any idea!
Edited by jerry7 - Feb. 10, 2020 23:20:17

Attachments:
jerry_MultiCurve.shelf (6.1 KB)
toolbar.png (5.6 KB)

678 posts
Hey jerry,

to expose handles to an hda you can enter the state of the node (edit node or curve node in this case).
Then in the viewport, you can click on the handle and press “export handle to hda”. give it a try.

Cheers
CYTE
620 posts
CYTE
to expose handles to an hda you can enter the state of the node (edit node or curve node in this case).
Then in the viewport, you can click on the handle and press “export handle to hda”. give it a try.

Hi CYTE,

Thanks for your reply!

Exporting handle to HDA seems only static bind. I need dynamically create/delete inner Curve Sop and expose the curve handle that is currently selected. The viewer state maybe work but I don't know how to realize in some simple way.
Edited by jerry7 - Feb. 11, 2020 05:28:30
678 posts
Hey Jerry,

maybe it helps if you put your nodes into the editable nodes collum of your type properties. You can find it when you go into “Edit Asset Properties”. Then under the “Node” tab put the curve node into the “editable nodes” column.

Cheers
CYTE
678 posts
Hey jerry7,

have you found a solution to the problem?
I want to expose an edit node to an hda. But it is not working.

Cheers
CYTE
340 posts
If you construct your curve by an add node with positions linked to nulls, you can parent some or all of the nodes to a separate null and move the parent Null. You can then check “keep position when parenting” and delete the connection. I have used this technique to change curve points position or curve rotation.
678 posts
Hey Island,

thank you for your insight. I want to edit a mesh object inside a hda. I can expose a handle (translate eg) while I'm in the edit state of the edit node. but this won't make the edit node work from the hda level.

Cheers
CYTE
255 posts
Is there a better way? Like exposing the edit point ability of a dynamic lattice heightfield deformer?
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
  • Quick Links