Get a flat water surface with FLIP

2084   4   1
26 posts
Greetings,
With a very simple FLIP setup, I manage to settle down the FLIP Particles just like the normal water surface(a flat water) in a cup.

But even sim over 100 frames , the particles are still jagging/bumping up and down.

I tried increasing the “Min Substeps” from 1 to 3 that will help a little bit, but still can't get a peaceful water surface.

Please enlighten me

Image Not Found

Attachments:
FlipTest_v001.hipnc (936.0 KB)
jaggingP.jpg (124.6 KB)

2526 posts
You can use a VDBCombine in Intersection mode to conform the surface to a collision object. Basically, boolean the thing flat.

Attachments:
flatten_flip.gif (190.0 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
26 posts
Enivob
You can use a VDBCombine in Intersection mode to conform the surface to a collision object. Basically, boolean the thing flat.
Thanks for the boolean solution.
Just wonder any FLIP(Particle) level solution(or DOP network solution) exists?
73 posts
So I guess a valid question is, why are you doing a FLIP sim when nothing is supposed to be moving?

Btw you can make the particles stay still by turning off the gravity force in your dopnet but my question stands….
26 posts
ziconic
So I guess a valid question is, why are you doing a FLIP sim when nothing is supposed to be moving?

Btw you can make the particles stay still by turning off the gravity force in your dopnet but my question stands….
Actually I had made an animated version of glass, that pours the fluids to the ground and then return to the same position.
But it occurs the same tiny jagging/bumping problem, no matter what before the pouring or not.
So I just want simplified the question,that why you are seeing a “static glass” version file.
Edited by akirasun_sh - June 1, 2020 21:50:49
  • Quick Links