Basic Wedge - ROP Geometry Performance

2192   1   0
6 posts
Hi guys! I'm learning some PDG basic things and I have to say that TOPs a reaally awesome thing! But, I have an small issue, if I make a basic wedge variations on a geometry (like scale a cube) all my variations are cooked almost immediately but the TOP Geometry node takes too long to write each file, even if I change the total slots parameter to “Equal CPU Count Less One” in the local scheduler.

Is there any way to improve the performance of the ROP Geometry? I'm using Houdini 18.0.460, I understand that this can be useful to run in background without affect the main performance of the cpu but in some cases I would prefer to export with full performance to export my multiple assets more quicker.

In the attached video you can see how it takes almost 4 minutes to write the bgeo cube files and is happening the same thing with the Alembic ROP, I suppose I'm missing something somewhere.

Thanks a lot, cheers!

Attachments:
PDG Basic Test_v01.hiplc (203.1 KB)
OHKae0IGTY.mp4 (14.4 MB)

Staff
584 posts
The work items in the ROP Fetch node are cooked out of process. Each work item starts a new hython process which loads the .hip file and then cook the target node network in that file. From the video you attached it looks like the work items are spending an unusually long time starting up. A few things to try:

• Put down a Python Script TOP and set the cook mode to “Cook (Out of Process)”, then cook that node. In that configuration the work item in the node will also run out of process using hython – do you see the same slow cooking behavior in that case?
  • Do the same thing, but this time wire your wedge node into the Python Script and try cooking it with the same scheduler settings you used in the video.
  • Try running your original file with a clean installation of Houdini, without all of the 3rd party plugins installed.
Edited by tpetrick - June 22, 2020 10:50:28
  • Quick Links