C4D to Houdini Alembic Import problem

1647   2   0
7 posts
Hello!

I'm trying to learn the workflow between C4D and Houdini.
The problem I have is with importing alembic scene into Houdini and get a subnetwork of all my C4D objects.

I know I can get the subnetwork in Houdini when I go File - Import - Alembic Scene.
But doing it this way really slowed down my computer and the animation when I add a flip sim for example.

So now I have instead trying to import my C4D Alembic file by creating a geo node - alembic node and importing my alembic file that way.

But here is my problem, when I do it this way, I get my whole C4D animation into 1 alembic file and I don't know how to separate my alembic file (example, the camera, the container box in C4D and so on).

What I would like is to get a subnetwork tree like I get when I import it via File - Import - Alembic Scene.

I'm sure this is a very easy fix but I'm really stuck trying to find an answer.

Thank you!
Edited by Octaneandcinema4d - July 6, 2020 05:42:32

Attachments:
Houdini (1).jpg (125.0 KB)
C4D(2).jpg (496.2 KB)

7727 posts
Octaneandcinema4d
What I would like is to get a subnetwork tree like I get when I import it via File - Import - Alembic Scene.

Then use file -> import alembic scene.

There isn't really an alternative if you must have the subnets.

Must users don't import that way though. The alembic read node can import all of the shapes in the alembic as separate packed primitives in Houdini, with path attributes to differentiate them and represent where they are located in the source hierarchy.
Cameras are the exception, as they must be imported at object level, the geometry level tools cannot import cameras. An alembic archive node must still be used to import cameras from alembic, (without creating custom tools to do so.)

If you have 18, another way to go is by importing the alembic in LOP's. The hierarchy and cameras are all visible in the scene graph tree. Lops is mostly for rendering, so the utility of importing it that way mostly depends on what you plan to do in Houdini.
7 posts
jsmack
Octaneandcinema4d

Then use file -> import alembic scene.

There isn't really an alternative if you must have the subnets.

Must users don't import that way though. The alembic read node can import all of the shapes in the alembic as separate packed primitives in Houdini, with path attributes to differentiate them and represent where they are located in the source hierarchy.
Cameras are the exception, as they must be imported at object level, the geometry level tools cannot import cameras. An alembic archive node must still be used to import cameras from alembic, (without creating custom tools to do so.)

If you have 18, another way to go is by importing the alembic in LOP's. The hierarchy and cameras are all visible in the scene graph tree. Lops is mostly for rendering, so the utility of importing it that way mostly depends on what you plan to do in Houdini.

Thank you very much!
  • Quick Links