Saving Presets On Opening New Files

2077   4   1
45 posts
Hello

I've done his before on another machine and now totally forgot how to do this setting up Houdini on a new machine. I know how to save a desktop build/ui but I forgot how to customize the startup desktop for things like having a geo sop automatically in the obj level or have a redshift ROP in the out context when starting a new file. Just want to be able to save some presets that I commonly use without having to set them up every time I open a new file.
731 posts
The 123.cmd file stores everything that is in the default new scene. You can add what you want to this file… you will want it to be in your $HOME/houdini18.0/houdini/scripts folder.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
45 posts
mrCatfish
The 123.cmd file stores everything that is in the default new scene. You can add what you want to this file… you will want it to be in your $HOME/houdini18.0/houdini/scripts folder.

Thanks for the response but I can't open the 123.cmd file. It opens for half a second and then closes.
45 posts
Ok so I've dug around and chosen to use 123.py or 456.py script to execute this startup script but where should this .py file be saved to? In my C:\Users\****\Documents\houdini18.0 folder and create a “scripts” folder? or C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 18.0.416\python27\Scripts folder? In my .env file it doesn't show a path for either, so I think. Should a path be defined in the .env file?

My current .env file

#
# Houdini Environment Settings
#
# The contents of this file are read into the environment
# at startup. They will override any existing entries in
# the environment.
#
# The syntax is one entry per line as follows:
# VAR = VALUE
#
# Values may be quoted
# VAR = “VALUE”
#
# Values may be empty
# VAR =
#

# Example:
#
# HOUDINI_NO_SPLASH = 1

HOUDINI_OCL_VENDOR=NVIDIA Corporation

HOUDINI_OCL_DEVICENUMBER=0

# —- REDSHIFT —-
HOUDINI_DSO_ERROR = 2
PATH = “C:/ProgramData/Redshift/bin;$PATH”
HOUDINI_PATH = “C:/ProgramData/Redshift/Plugins/Houdini/18.0.416;&”

I also noticed that I already have some .py scripts in my C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 18.0.416\python27 folder, should they go here?

I found some useful infoformation regarding this here https://houdinitricks.com/automatically-create-redshift-rops-when-starting-houdini/ [houdinitricks.com] and would like to replicate this script somewhat.
Edited by chanson78 - July 11, 2020 01:13:26
731 posts
Not on windows, but it should probably go in C:\Users\****\Documents\houdini18.0\scripts.

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hom/locations.html#startup [www.sidefx.com]

Sean
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
  • Quick Links