Spaceship Generator

6331   12   1
8 posts
Hello everyone,

I've been interested more and more by the procedural modelling capability in Houdini and have just started experimenting having spent a fair bit of time in Blender. In the last few weeks I've been working on developing a spaceship generator - see images below. There of course isn't really a brief, this is just me experimenting to see if I can come up with a versatile spaceship generator which produces mostly good effects by changing a seed value.

At the moment, the general process has been:
  1. Create a basic randomly extruded object.
  2. Slice the objects up along edge loops and extrude the sections at different random heights.
  3. Slice the result further following the same process, but this time to a far greater amount to get the ‘greeble’ affect.
  4. Add some further details using the same extrusion method.
  5. Use Shortest paths to create some tube effects.

Here are some results so far by controlling the effect by a random integer seed value. I used Arnold to texture and render:

What I'm really interested in is where I can improve. I'm particularly drawn to the work of people like Akira Saito. I've experimented with things like Voronoi fracturing, but wanted to come up with a different look.

I'd really appreciate:
  • Any lighting/texturing tips. Are there other renders out there such as Redshift that might produce more impressive results for this sort of model?
  • Effects in Houdini that might be worth considering, e.g. I am yet to experiment with L-Trees etc.
  • Pointers to tutorials that might help me improve.
  • General feedback on the look and feel of the images.

Many thanks!

Mark

Attachments:
shipwright_houd_test4.jpg (1.5 MB)
shipwright_houd_test3.jpg (1.5 MB)
shipwright_houd_test2.jpg (1.5 MB)
shipwright_houd_test1.jpg (766.0 KB)

833 posts
mkingsnorth
I'd really appreciate:
Any lighting/texturing tips. Are there other renders out there such as Redshift that might produce more impressive results for this sort of model?
Effects in Houdini that might be worth considering, e.g. I am yet to experiment with L-Trees etc.
Pointers to tutorials that might help me improve.
General feedback on the look and feel of the images.

I think a bit of hull wear and tear would go a long way towards improving the textures. It would also be a nice touch to have the tips of the front antennas have some light/emission. Also adding some metalness surfaces should make the textures more realistic.

Not sure what you mean as far as Redshift producing more impressive results.

I would also suggest that you run some renders with a proper space background, maybe even a planet nearby. It should improve the look and with a planet it should also render a better sense of scale.

As far as tutorials, when it comes to large scale spaceship design Paul Chadeisson is your guy:

https://www.artstation.com/pao/store [www.artstation.com]
Edited by Midphase - July 7, 2020 12:42:15
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
8 posts
Thanks Midphase/Kays, very helpful - improving the textures and getting a proper hdri is where I'll go next. Has anyone had experience with importing models into Substance Painter?

I was aiming to make this as procedural as possible (ie just by changing parameters I get a completely new model), but it may be that ultimately introducing some customisation is where it will need to go.

Any more comments welcome!

Mark
320 posts
mkingsnorth
Thanks Midphase/Kays, very helpful - improving the textures and getting a proper hdri is where I'll go next. Has anyone had experience with importing models into Substance Painter?

I was aiming to make this as procedural as possible (ie just by changing parameters I get a completely new model), but it may be that ultimately introducing some customisation is where it will need to go.

Any more comments welcome!

Mark

how did you create your textures? especially the lit windows?
8 posts
@bobc4d - In Arnold (and hopefully this is similar in other setups), I used a combination of cell noise and checker textures to get the effect, restricted to only polygons I had grouped as windows (randomly selected from polygons along a certain axis). The cell noise, set to a non random cell1 pattern, was used to mask the ‘rows’ of windows, and then the checkerboard texture was used to create the actual windows. I then fed another checkerboard texture into one of the colors with different size parameters to make the checkerboard appear random.

Here is a screenshot of the setup, hope this is clear but let me know if you have any questions:

For the pattern on the hull, I also used the checkerboard but also fed in cell noise nodes of different sizes into the offset of the main checkerboard to give a random plating effect. I also fed in other checkerboard nodes to add even more randomness. Here is a screenshot of the nodes:

I would have used cell noise exclusively, but the bump node does not appear to work with this node in Arnold. Checkerboard did.

Hope that helps!

Mark

Attachments:
windows_houdini_nodes.jpg (100.9 KB)
hull_houdini_nodes.jpg (95.8 KB)

8 posts
I followed the suggestions by Midphase and have this render so far:

I added some noise to get the dirt and lights to the tips.

Critique and suggestions welcome!
Edited by mkingsnorth - July 13, 2020 13:24:55

Attachments:
shipwright_h_test60.jpg (2.1 MB)

320 posts
thank you for explanation and screenshots. so the windows are actually modeled/polygons? WOW amazing.
8 posts
Not modeled I'm afraid, they are Arnold textures, with a bit of bump for good measure
8 posts
Latest progress:
- Changed seed value, it takes 2-3 seconds to recalculate.
- Improved the distribution of the plates by ordering the slicing operation by the largest faces first.
- Improved the piping effect around the ship (A combination of Find Shortest Paths on random points and a Wireframe SOP)

Edited by mkingsnorth - July 14, 2020 13:00:37

Attachments:
shipwright_h_test63.jpg (2.3 MB)

833 posts
Looking good. I wonder if there is any way for you to be able to define exactly where the emission textures are placed? Say for instance, in your image above, that the rear of the ship is just massive engines and probably don't have windows, but the mid-section would be where all of the habitation would be, so that would have a lot more windows.

Also, in my experience, what tends to convey scale is having some really small details. Not everywhere, but the ability to have super-tiny elements of the geometry such as railings, or small antennae, etc. So for instance, if your ship up there is about 500m long, that means that your smallest element right now is probably at least 1-2m wide which looks tiny compared to the rest of the ship, but quite large compared to a human. Think more – what would a 10cm wide antenna look like? Or a 5cm railing pipe?
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
8 posts
Thanks Midphase: I've been experimenting with adding extra details and came across Octane and JSPlacement with some interesting results:

I think I could control the windows more through assigning groups based on distance from the center, yet to figure out how to get the groups into Octane though.

I also did some further experiments with Voronoi displacement:

I have also put the Digital Asset I made to create the basic random 3D shapes on Gumroad and Orbolt:

https://www.orbolt.com/asset/mkingsnorth::shape_generator

https://gumroad.com/l/zmuYY [gumroad.com]

Mark

Further comments welcome!
Edited by mkingsnorth - Aug. 7, 2020 05:54:06

Attachments:
hd_shipwright_4.jpg (2.3 MB)
hd_shipwright_3.jpg (2.5 MB)
hd_shipwright_2.jpg (2.4 MB)
hd_shipwright_2_bts.jpg (1.4 MB)
hd_shipwright_1.jpg (2.7 MB)
hd_shipwright_4_bts.jpg (1.3 MB)
vermilion1-1.jpg (1.6 MB)
twisted_extrude_splash4.jpg (937.0 KB)

8 posts
Here's some work from today: I grouped and assigned a different whiter jsplacement material to the top and bottom faces of the geometry to get a nicer effect:

Attachments:
hd_shipwright_5.jpg (1.2 MB)

18 posts
Really nice! I think the added contrast with the white material adds a new dimension to the model. I also like the look of the voronoi-approach. Have you considered adding circular shapes to your ship so it looks more like this [i.kinja-img.com]?

If you have not checked out “No Mans Sky” I'd recommend looking on google (or another search engine of you choice) for Freighters and other star ships from that game.
  • Quick Links