macOS for Houdini

4098   4   2
42 posts
hello guys

Until recently, I worked on Linux for 3 years, and came to Windows due to limitations …
Now I wanted to make a machine hackintosh
Do you think Mac is better than Windows for Houdini and …
Can it have good performance and speed or is it no different from Windows?
I know this Mac is based on unix but it is closed source
In Linux, RAM management was very optimal, is it the same in Mac or not?

thanks your help
42 posts
my specs is

intel core i9 9900k
giganyte z390 gaming x
32gb 16*2 corsair 3200mhz
nvidia gtx 1060 6gb gigabyte
2 ssd 500gb samsung evo 860

if I wanaana using mac ,I should use macOS high sierra
Hs fully supported nvidia
208 posts
I'm thinking about going to a dedicated Windows or Linux machine for Houdini, but keeping Mac to run all the other tools. I'm going to wait until the fall, see what AMD does, etc.

The biggest downsides for Mac for me are:

1. SideFx incorporates third-party tools, e.g. Substance plug-ins, Alice Vision, etc that run on Windows but not Mac;

2. Apple's shader API, Metal, is a non-trivial hurdle for SideFx (and all renderers) to adopt;

3. Apple hates Nvidia for childish reasons which keeps RTX, other Nvidia cards out of the Apple ecosystem, including the otherwise-amazing “Pro” machine;

and

4. Apple is transitioning to ARM-based machines. This will create its own cyclone of issues.

as for RAM management, Apple does that really well, insert usual Apple caveats, mileage may vary, etc.
833 posts
mpd71
Do you think Mac is better than Windows for Houdini and …
Can it have good performance and speed or is it no different from Windows?
I know this Mac is based on unix but it is closed source
In Linux, RAM management was very optimal, is it the same in Mac or not?

I think that OSX is better than Windows, but that's a personal choice. Since I use both, I feel that my productivity and creativity is far higher when I work in OSX than I do in Windows. But as I said, that's subjective. Choice is good, options are good. I am very glad that SideFX supports those options, and in return I choose to support SideFX with my money, my tutorials, and my evangelizing.

Regarding performance – In my use I find Houdini runs comparatively the same in Windows or OSX on the same hardware.

I haven't tried Linux, mostly because the little that I know about it is that it can be ridiculously complicated to set up and get running properly in some cases, and the various builds of it with one app favoring one flavor of Linux and another app favoring another seems annoying. I suppose if I was into running just Houdini that might make it less annoying, but I need to run a large amount of apps, including some which are not available for Linux at all. I heard that Linux users with a properly configured workstation report as much as a 25% speed improvement in Houdini, but I don't have many details on how quantifiable those speed improvements are.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
42 posts
thanks your replies …
But it is not much different from Windows in terms of speed
Linux can help with very heavy and large simulations, I tried both operating systems
For example, in a fluid (river) simulation with the amount
I tried psep 0.01 (for 5 frames)
In Linux, caching time
It took 5 minutes and 3 seconds
In Windows it took 6 minutes and 4 seconds
Well, they have a few percent difference in speed …
Linux is very efficient in managing RAM
But there are many limitations
Sample software highlight …
Although it is based on unix, but it is a closed source type, but it can never have Linux performance. It works similar to Windows, except that it has no regiment and can be layered.
I think I should stay on windows ..
  • Quick Links