Pre H18 viewport camera zoom shortcut

3221   3   3
76 posts
Hi there,

In Houdini 18 using CTRL+RMB in the viewport to zoom now shows me a view mask.
Is there still an option to get the old behavior without the view mask?
Hopefully another key combination? Don't think I found an option in preferences.

I'm navigating in narrow indoor spaces and zooming out is an important part of my workflow.
I can see the viewmask and the 2D Pan & Zoom mode will be very useful for actual camera objects.
But when no camera is selected and I'm in 3D Camera mode I find this hindering my workflow.

Anyone?

cheers,
benS
710 posts
I think SideFX boned this functionality when they introduced 2D Pan & Zoom. I used it as well and agree it's important to have, as the default viewport field of view is fairly narrow compared to some other DCCs. As a sort of workaround you can set the view mask transparency to zero in the display options, which just leaves you with a blue frame.

Rather than ask for the old functionality back, I had put in a RFE to simply give us a viewport FOV setting. It is RFE ID# 106201 if you would like to add your support to it.
7741 posts
Unfortunately, there never was a hotkey for changing the focal length. The zoom hotkey has always changed the window scale. In 18 it just shows the mask around the original window without a scale.

What we need is a focal/aperture control in the scene view. The only way I know of to set these is to create a camera and set them there. Then you can free look from the camera and the focal/aperture will be retained.
251 posts
My toolkit has a quick and dirty panel that gives you a fov slider for non camera perspective views. (I guess you can install it without the entire toolkit if you just need this)

Check the “proFov” panel found here:

https://bitbucket.org/jcdeblok/jdb_houdinitoolkit/src/master/python_panels/ [bitbucket.org]
Edited by Jonathan de Blok - Aug. 17, 2020 14:40:45
More code, less clicks.
  • Quick Links