how merge collider objects to one? (alembic scene)

1788   2   1
3 posts
hi folks,

I finally got my head ready to jump into Houdini and here I am with my first noob question:

I imported an alembic scene (animated excavator shovel) and want to let that collide with the grain (vellum) I added to the scene. I therefore made a pool with grains the shovel can dig into.

Now I want to combine the pool (colliding object) and the shovel (another colliding object, animated) but somehow only the pool interacts with the grain not the shovel itself. I tried to combine both nodes with a merge node and with a boolean node, but to no avail. here's the graph:

Could it be that there's a hick-up with downscaling the alembic scene (via null) to fit the scene scaling?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best, *D

Attachments:
Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 21.29.20.png (121.7 KB)
Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 21.30.16.png (1.5 MB)
Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 21.32.28.png (34.8 KB)

7741 posts
woah, a boolean? Use a merge node to combine geometry streams. The alembic is probably still packed alembic primitives. If so It will need to be converted to polygonal geometry by unpacking and then converting. Vellum only supports polygon collisions, not collisions with packed primitives or polysoup primitives. Ditch the alembic archive unless you need to import a camera, stick with the alembic sop to import geometry.

Attachments:
alembic_pipeline.png (13.4 KB)

3 posts
jsmack
It will need to be converted to polygonal geometry by unpacking and then converting.

That did the trick! Thank you very much!
  • Quick Links