Houdini Hard Crash on Node delete

2847   9   0
60 posts
Hi all

For some reason starting a couple days ago all my houdini versions give me a hard crash when I try delete any node. Even if I just launch houdini, create an empty geo node and hit delete it just bombs out. I can't figure out what has changed that caused that to happen. Fresh install of Houdini has not helped. I've also deleted all my prefs and that didn't help.

Any ideas?
60 posts
FYI, I was writing a script in Python using the hou.node.destroy() method, and it was working correctly to delete inputAncestors. And then all of a sudden I run it one time and Houdini crashed. Now it always crashes on delete. Not sure why that would break Houdini.
833 posts
https://www.sidefx.com/support-programs/ [www.sidefx.com]
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
60 posts
I'm on Houdini Indie so can't use production support unfortunately.
Staff
4435 posts
Even Indie users can log bugs, and especially in the case of crashes we'd really like to get to the bottom of it if we can. If you can submit a crash log that would be very helpful. From your description, I don't think we'll be able to do much without a crash log since presumably there is something specific about your system that is problematic. Most users don't experience this crash or I'm pretty sure we'd know about it by now
60 posts
Unfortunately it is not giving me any crash logs. it's a hard crash without any messages.
7737 posts
ndasilva
Unfortunately it is not giving me any crash logs. it's a hard crash without any messages.

I wonder if this is the same crash I'm getting when publishing VOP nodes with our asset manager system. Does it print an error about something something ‘tried to access an object that was deleted’?
620 posts
Rename user profile setting folder and restart houdini.If worked well, Copy back setting file one by one untill crashing again.
60 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. No print errors. Hard crash.

I've removed all my prefs and it still crashes. It even crashes in older houdini installations for Houdini 17. Something persistent between all installations. I cannot figure it out. So frustrating!
620 posts
what persistent between all installations perhaps be video driver,lic server,$hsite.
  • Quick Links