Had anyone saw the C4D node-based demo?

9711   23   3
331 posts
hMonkey
Although they could learn a few things from them regarding the ui & ux…
With the exception of the Dopesheet (which, SideFX, please re-haul), I vastly prefer Houdini's UX to Cinema 4D's. The UI is not what I'd call pretty, but it's functional as hell. What areas do you think SideFX could learn from UI/UX-wise?
Edited by eikonoklastes - July 29, 2020 03:16:30
38 posts
eikonoklastes
hMonkey
With the exception of the Dopesheet (which, SideFX, please re-haul), I vastly prefer Houdini's UX to Cinema 4D's. The UI is not what I'd call pretty, but it's functional as hell. What areas do you think SideFX could learn from UI/UX-wise?

I agree. You get over very pretty UIs very quickly anyway, and then you often realise they spent more time on that than the UI's functionality. The programs I consider most functional/not getting in your way when you use them, tend not to really draw that much attention, and even look a bit outdated, for example, the Unreal Editor, Reaper (audio), Houdini.
900 posts
eikonoklastes
hMonkey

I love Houdini but I don't agree 100%.
The UI of the parameters is sometime buggy, generally ugly and with poor readability, and always space wasting.
This all lead to lots of flow breaking moments.

Also the user should have more control over the parameters, like more alignment and positioning options and more displaying possibilities for each parm (just one example: integers and floats without sliders).
331 posts
Andr
eikonoklastes
hMonkey

I love Houdini but I don't agree 100%.
The UI of the parameters is sometime buggy, generally ugly and with poor readability, and always space wasting.
This all lead to lots of flow breaking moments.

Also the user should have more control over the parameters, like more alignment and positioning options and more displaying possibilities for each parm (just one example: integers and floats without sliders).
The conversation is about Houdini's UX/UI in comparison to that of Cinema 4D's. Houdini is definitely not the pinnacle of UI or UX design, but when considering functionality, it outshines Cinema 4D.

Cinema 4D definitely looks nicer, and I 100% agree about the space-wasting in Houdini's Parameters pane but when it comes to functionality, Houdini is a league ahead.

I haven't experienced any bugs or readability issues with the UI, except with the Pre-Flight window, where the bright red text against the dark grey background is a terrible colour combination.
Edited by eikonoklastes - Aug. 20, 2020 01:00:20
  • Quick Links