Copy "internally defined node" to hda

2325   4   1
2 posts
Is it possible to copy an “internally defined node” as an hda, so I can modify it as a new digital asset?

For example, I would like to create a modify a dop network - add new parameters and run scripts from an altered interface. However, when I view a dop network instance in the asset manager, and right click, “copy” does not show up as an option. It shows up as an “internally defined node”, so I'm wondering if you can't copy one of those as a new asset.
897 posts
Right click on the node>type properties, change the file path to where you want.

Edit: Strike that, you said “internally defined” I read “Embedded”. Oh, that's a different story. What you want is to create a HDA [www.sidefx.com] (Houdini Digital Asset), you put the node inside your own and thus gain control of the behavior of it.
Edited by kahuna031 - Sept. 11, 2020 11:11:25
B.Henriksson, DICE
2 posts
So I guess I have to wrap it in a subnet first, then make my HDA, in the usual way. Thank you for your reply, it's good to know there's no other, more direct way.
61 posts
Is there still not a better way to do this? Wrapping the HDA in a subnet is hardly a solution for more complex HDAs. For example, I just want to make a couple of tweaks to the ROP Alembic node, but cloning the interface for the entire ROP alembic hda to my subnet seems ridiculous.
8513 posts
wyhinton1
Is there still not a better way to do this? Wrapping the HDA in a subnet is hardly a solution for more complex HDAs.
you can directly copy HDAs under different type name, change UI, content, etc... using Asset Manager

wyhinton1
ROP Alembic node, but cloning the interface for the entire ROP alembic hda to my subnet seems ridiculous.
ROP Alembic Output SOP is not a HDA, it's node written in C++ using HDK, you can't edit those and it's not that surprising no software allows you to do that unless you have a source code

cloning the UI from internal nodes is just 2 clicks or click+drag from From Nodes section
Edited by tamte - Jan. 11, 2023 03:01:59
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links