Mac OSX Port?

315886   265   2
1145 posts
A Shuttle P2700 with 8 gigs of ram, Ubuntu 6.06 and Qemu.
That's a setup.
Qemu will allow you to simply establish and run any other OS you simply must use. I'm very impressed with it, accept the networking component is a bit convoluted to get running.

3dismyname
Aarggh! I've no dignity left, is this the end of my PPC 64bit relationship? Not in respect of editing with Final Cut Studio and Shake. Or other 3D Apps, like Lightwave, C4D, Maya, as well as there in shakable partner Photoshop!
Is this really an end of an era! Even thought of the unthinkable “if that's a word no red line under score though”! Buying a PC. Errrahahagh the pain! Still a mac power book with an intel chip cools the noodle. What one ought I to buy any recommendations with an ubuntu O.S.?
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
41 posts
This thread has been viewed 19717 times!
I think that this says something about the demand for the port..
21 posts
That means that if only approx a quarter of those visitors bought ‘Escape’ at $1999 that would be approx $10000000 (Ten million dollars.)

Obviously Sidefx don't need the money. :roll:

Slave1
575 posts
I think You calculation is based on some very adventurous assumptions :wink:

That means that if only approx a quarter of those visitors bought ‘Escape’ at $1999 that would be approx $10000000 (Ten million dollars.)

Obviously Sidefx don't need the money. Rolling Eyes

Slave1
21 posts
Well maybe… but even if you where to say only a quarter of ‘those’ where to buy Escape. Then that would be still in the millions. $2'500'000.00

How much would it cost to port to OSX do you think?

Slave1 :shock:
575 posts
maybe one reason why I'm not speculating in that field is the fact that I have no clue about this.
I'm not good in number's, especially this high.

martin
35 posts
20.000+ views ??? sheesh.!!
Houdini 9 better have an OSX port damnitt!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
7714 posts
Oh, come on. This thread has a grand total of 106 replies while several people here have posted like 4-5 replies. At best, there's like 20 people on this thread and I'm probably over-estimating. Not all of them are pro-mac either. Stop throwing around the views statistic. There's little enough traffic on this forum that several people (myself included) just as a matter of habit read all the posts on the forum every day that inflates this thread's view count.
246 posts
For example, I've looked at this topic dozens of times and have no interest in a mac port whatsoever.
5 posts
FinalCutStudio 6 + Phenomenon+http://red.com/index.htm+houdini [red.com] and some other stuff would be great :idea: :?: :!:
14 posts
Yes, not having an OSX version of houdini is stupid. Just an aprentice version will be fine to attract a lot of new artist than are not currently using Houdini and wont be claiming at this forum for an OSX port as you are expecting on the statistics.
1192 posts
I don't think “stupid” is a good term. I would love to see a Mac version of Houdini but it's also very obvious that Mac wasn't a viable platform until recently. It made perfect sense not to waste resources on development for that platform. Now things are a little bit different and Intel Macs make perfect sense, power-wise and cost-wise, especially in a boutique/small studio context.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
14 posts
Yes, sorry by the term. I still thinking that will be great to have Houdini on OSX.
519 posts
sorry but Apples have always been overpriced…the best bang for your buck you get when you buy parts from an online retailer. Maybe the case ain't pretty but who cares it's under the desk, a place i try to avoid spending my time (i might get strangled by the cables there anyway)
109 posts
Pagefan
sorry but Apples have always been overpriced…the best bang for your buck you get when you buy parts from an online retailer. Maybe the case ain't pretty but who cares: it's under the desk, a place i try to avoid spending my time (i might get strangled by the cables there anyway)

Right, and by the time you get all your gear together, downloaded twice the size of your os to install all bits and bolts, you already have finalized 3 real world production jobs on your Mac. You've captured, editing, composited and rendered a high-end production at professional broadcast or film quality at the best price rate. You are immediately fully integrated in any existing network setup, and you're backed up by the best production proven tools for decades, developed by the biggest IT company in the world: the open source community.

And your girlfriend really believes that you do have a very cool job, even when you wear glasses and talk about client/server model. All because of Mac.

In our sector, as a desktop system, it really is the best thing out there; the platform if you don't want to compromise. The pain is, the industry thinks apple won't keep the edge it clearly has now. It will not be able to support it in the long term, they presume. How much longer?
1192 posts
Pagefan
sorry but Apples have always been overpriced…
I strongly disagree. A MacPro desktop is very competitively priced when compared with similar desktops (like HP or Dell workstations) and not very much more expensive as buying the components and assembling your own. The only thing that made me buy a Supermicro workstation instead of a MacPro was Apple's idiotic graphic card options. But I was strongly considering a MacPro and, again, price-wise it was a very good option.
I like the Supermicro very much, it's bullet proof, well built, stable and it looks good, but if Apple will offer more graphic card options, I'll go Mac in the future. Generally speaking, it's not worth the effort of searching and assembling a workstation for saving a few hundred bucks and still getting a product which doesn't offer you as many options (OS and software wise), doesn't look as good (yes, it does matter to me, I'm in a visual bussines) and might not be as stable or well built.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
13 posts
I miss the old SGI workstations. They were expensive as hell, but they were easy to administrate and maintain. Everything worked together. Now I have a linux system built from parts from all over and if anything doesn't work I have to spend hours figuring out who isn't playing nice with everyone else in the sandbox.

I've got 3 macs and love them. So easy to deal with. If only my Houdini machine could be one of them, what a wonderful world it would be…
1 posts
Bring on OS X native Houdini!

Houdini was the first 3D app I tried, along time ago, since then I have tried most other major 3D apps and to me they lack the power and flexibilty of Houdini's procedural work flow. I'm currently a blenderhead.

I love Open source but Linux is just a tad too much for me, i just get confused. i'm a Mac man, they may not be perfect, but I like the simplicity.

Perfect world OS X native Houdini, I can only hope.
483 posts
Apropos of nothing, great nickname, dude!
87 posts
Not sure if this counts for anything, but I would also like to cast my vote for Houdini on OSX. I have been seriously considering going back to freelance at some point, and making my next workstation a Mac. So far the only thing holding me back is the lack of Houdini. I'm primarily a Maya guy but I'm trying to let my Houdini exp catch up. With it's new shiny price, it's a real contender for a one-man shop or a very small boutique. I agree that if a company wanted to make a volume purchase for Macs then that would make the chances higher, but I don't see any large studios switching over anytime soon. Instead I'm hoping that enough freelancers/small shops owning or interested in Apple and Houdini make themselves heard.

I agree that the time shouldn't be spent on something that may or may not be lucrative, but I have to wonder what made Alias/Autodesk, Pixar (despite the obvious, although I'm positive their renderfarm are not all Macs) and the others decide port their applications. I would imagine they were ported before the demand was known, although I have no idea how many seats have actually been sold for the Mac.

Just my 2cents…I guess you'll be giving back change
/ken_jones/$: _
  • Quick Links