instant mesh on mac

6344   12   2
1 posts
hi everybody,
i never got the instant mesh sop working on a mac. is there anybody who can tell me where i need to point the sop too. or where i have to put the executable instant mesh on a mac envirnment?

thx in regards
41 posts
Just ran into the same problem. This is what I put into the “Instant Meshes Location” and it worked:

$HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR/Instant Meshes.app/Contents/MacOS/Instant Meshes
8 posts
Could you make it work on Houdini 18/Mac? (I'm currently on 18.0.566, sidefxlabs 566)
I dropped the “Instant Meshes.app” into the Houdini preferences folder as Alan suggested but the node doesn't work and does not throw any error; on the SOP parameters there's no option to set the source path location.

thx
8 posts
Did anyone succeeded installing Instant Meshes on Houdini 18.0.566/mac?
I gen an error and the SOP parameters panel doesn't show the option “Instant Meshes Location”.
What am I doing wrong?

Attachments:
Untitled 3.png (178.3 KB)

197 posts
@GS, change the version of the node to be V1 instead of V2. V1 uses an .exe, while V2 does not. To change version go to Assets>Asset Manager, and then in the Configuration tab set the “Asset bar” at the bottom to “Display Menu of All Definitions”. You will now have a dropdown at the top of your Parameter UI to change the version.
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
8 posts
Thanks @Ambrosiussen, that worked 50%

- I did successfully enable V1 and set the path to the Instant Meshes Application (I'm on macOS, and I copied it into the Houdini pref folder) using the same string-path suggested by @AlanZ in a prev post on this thread.

–> $HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR/Instant Meshes.app/Contents/MacOS/Instant Meshes
(I'm assuming spaces don't need escape characters in the above string)

- but the mesh is not processed, I don't think Instant Meshes is actually called by the SOP, there is this python node warning.

Hip attached.

Attachments:
instant meshes.png (2.2 MB)
warning.png (306.0 KB)
MACOS Instant meshes issue.hiplc (159.7 KB)

8 posts
It eventually worked with a clean installation of Houdini 18.0.597, sidefx labs 597 and by NOT dropping the Instant Meshes app in the preferences folder, in my case it was on the Desktop. I also changed the temp folder path.

Attachments:
im path mac.png (61.1 KB)

8 posts
quite unhappy with the solution, I tried to load it again from 
$HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR/Instant Meshes.app/Contents/MacOS/Instant Meshes  
and kept the obj path to

$HIP/TEMP/input_geo.obj
$HIP/TEMP/output_geo.obj

rather then

$TEMP/input_geo.obj
$TEMP/output_geo.obj

it still works. I assume the blocking factor was the “$TEMP” relative path
833 posts
Ambrosiussen
@GS, change the version of the node to be V1 instead of V2. V1 uses an .exe, while V2 does not. To change version go to Assets>Asset Manager, and then in the Configuration tab set the “Asset bar” at the bottom to “Display Menu of All Definitions”. You will now have a dropdown at the top of your Parameter UI to change the version.

Paul, with all due respect, maybe fix your stuff in the first place so we don't have to? What's next, recompile our own code?

It would be nice if OSX users wouldn't keep on being treated like 2nd class citizens. Some of us have very good reasons why we need to work within OSX, and I assure you that we pay the same exact amount of money for Houdini as Linux and Windows users do.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
21 posts
If you're using Python3 build and get the following error even after setting the path on an Instant Meshes v1 node
return _hou.Geometry_loadFromFile(self, file_name)
hou.OperationFailed: The attempted operation failed.
Could not read from the specified file

Edit contents of the inner python1 node so the line
numPolys = str(node.parm("poly_count").eval() / 4)
becomes
numPolys = str(int(node.parm("poly_count").eval() / 4))

Works like a charm.
2 posts
so you have to do the following:

Download and copy the InstantMesh.app to $HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR

From the menu bar open "Assets -> Asset Manager"
In the Asset Manger Window select the Configuration tab
At of the bottom of the window set the "Asset bar" to "Display Menu of All Definitions"

From the Network Graph select the Labs Instant Meshes Node
In the Labs Instant Meshes Node Parameters
Change the "Asset Name and Path" from "labs::instant_meshes::2.0 to "labs::instant_meshes"

In the Labs Instant Meshes Node Parameters select the "Settings" tab
Change the "Instant Meshes Location" to "$HOUDINI_USER_PREF_DIR/Instant Meshes.app/Contents/MacOS/Instant Meshes"
Change the "Remesh Tmp File" & "Unmeshed Tmp File" to "$HIP/input_geo.obj" & "$HIP/output_geo.obj"
Click the gear icon in Parameter pane and select "Save as Permanent Defaults"

Right click the Labs Instant Meshes Node in the Network Graph and select "Allow Editing of Contents"
Dive into Labs Instant Meshes Node and select the "python1" node
Edit line 10 from "numPolys = str(node.parm("poly_count").eval() / 4)" to "numPolys = str(int(node.parm("poly_count").eval() / 4))"
Dive back up, right click the Labs Instant Meshes Node and select "Version Digital Asset -> Save as..."
Save as a newer version
1 posts
Thank you!

Your detailed descriptions helped me to get instant meshes up and running on MacOS Big Sur with Houdini Indie 18.5.532.

Unfortunately the usage of guide curves is still not possible, right?
197 posts
Hi,

Quick update on InstantMeshes for Mac... You dont need to change the version of the node manually anymore like @Mark Hanny suggests above. The tool will detect you are on Mac and instantiate the ::1.0 version for you automatically.
Paul Ambrosiussen
Technical Artist, Freelance
twitter.com/ambrosiussen_p
  • Quick Links