Shelf tools in HDA version update issue

3740   2   0
453 posts
In my HDA, in the Interactive tab under ShelfTools,
I put a bunch of scripts that generate variations of the same HDA in the TAB menu.

So I have one tool and you can basically get a preset version of it straight from the TAB menu. And it can be looked up by the name of the preset. That's all good and it works. The issue arises, when I try to update the version of this HDA.

I have the same HDA with the same script, name and namespace and incremented version suffix. But I get the old version from the TAB menu, when I use the generated labels.

The TAB menu just keeps using the scripts from the older version. (I verified that by modifying the older version and observing the change.) When I delete the scripts in the older version, the TAB menu scripts use the newer version. Is this a bug, or am doing something wrong?

Attachments:
tools script.PNG (31.8 KB)
version update.PNG (27.2 KB)

Staff
1448 posts
The problem is that you end up with two shelf tools that have the same name. And in Houdini session only one tool of a given name can be active. You will need to name the tools differently between the HDAs. For convenience, you could prefix or suffix the tool name (in the Name field) with $HDA_NAME, which would make the tool names unique.
453 posts
rafal
The problem is that you end up with two shelf tools that have the same name. And in Houdini session only one tool of a given name can be active.

Thanks, now I understand what is going wrong.
But I would expect that in case of conflict, it would use the tool of the current HDA. Because that behavior would automatically “deprecate” the outdated tools.

As a “fix”, I deleted the tools from the older HDA version.
  • Quick Links