Stability issues and Autosave

3099   5   1
378 posts
Can we please have Houdini remember the Autosave setting, given that recent builds are so unstable?
Pressing Ctrl S every five seconds interrupts any workflow more than the node management overhead already does.

Thank you.
251 posts
If you create a “456.cmd” file in you /scripts folder and put
autosave on
in it, it will enable autosave automatically for you. (or just use attached file)

Additionally if put the ‘afterscenesave.py’ in the same folder it will keep a max of N backups so you're not creating infinite backup files.

The ‘max_files=15’ line sets the max amount of backup files to keep for the current scene file, this will work for both backups created when saved as for the autobackup files. (so you'll have a max of 30 files combined when wet to 15)
Edited by Jonathan de Blok - Sept. 14, 2020 10:28:55

Attachments:
afterscenesave.py (1.5 KB)
456.cmd (11 bytes)

More code, less clicks.
378 posts
Jonathan de Blok
If you create a “456.cmd” file in you /scripts folder and put
autosave on
in it, it will enable autosave automatically for you. (or just use attached file)

Additionally if put the ‘afterscenesave.py’ in the same folder it will keep a max of N backups so you're not creating infinite backup files.

The ‘max_files=15’ line sets the max amount of backup files to keep for the current scene file, this will work for both backups created when saved as for the autobackup files. (so you'll have a max of 30 files combined when wet to 15)

Thank you so much.
However I still don't understand why a user script is necessary and this is not implemented as a native function. I wouldn't have been able to figure that out by myself and I am certain I'm not the only one. Thanks again.

(Also: can't think of a single reason why anyone would think having a proper autosave that stays on could be a bad thing… )
Edited by OneBigTree - Sept. 23, 2020 19:45:39
138 posts
OneBigTree
(Also: can't think of a single reason why anyone would think having a proper autosave that stays on could be a bad thing… )

Can't understand that either,at least they should provide an option to let user decide.
251 posts
I can remember an old discussion where some users argued autosave was a bad thing because it encourages sloppy behavior. Which arguably it does, but on the other hand it saved me many times.

Personally I don't see any harm in making it an option especially for the tired artist working long nights under pressure.
More code, less clicks.
201 posts
This at least should be an option for the user.

I've put in a relatively recent RFE #107810 [www.sidefx.com] for this once again.

Of course it encourages sloppy behaviour, but let the users work how they want to work. It is a setting that they probably know from many different apps, too.
It can be really useful when testing unstable workflows/nodes as well. (I'm looking at you UV nodes)
Manuel Köster - Senior Technical Artist @Remedy Entertainment

https://www.remedygames.com/ [www.remedygames.com]
http://shadesoforange.de/ [shadesoforange.de]
https://twitter.com/ShadesOfOrange_ [twitter.com]
  • Quick Links