Isn't it time for some Houdini 18.5 action soon?

38941   72   12
138 posts
KineFX sounds interesting…
77 posts
wanglifu

but i can not get any idea from the name…

does anyone can give me an explanation?
Edited by zengchen - Sept. 23, 2020 06:28:49
My Youtube Channel [www.youtube.com]
636 posts
zengchen
wanglifu

but i can not get any idea from the name…

does anyone can give me an explanation?

What we know is that this release focus is character animation.

Kinefx => kinematic fx

So if it has a name there will be surly many nodes to play with.
I have seen the screenshot and i think nearly any part in houdini got updated.
38 posts
Give us character tools at last in kinefx , face and body mocap tools.
had enough from mayas bullcrap tools…
Edited by Erik Ws - Sept. 23, 2020 07:46:45
603 posts
From what I can tell, KineFX moves Character tools down from OBJ level (setting up rigs using OBJ nodes) to SOP level (setting up rigs using packed primitives).
Houdini Indie
Karma/Redshift 3D
33 posts
Daryl Dunlap
From what I can tell, KineFX moves Character tools down from OBJ level (setting up rigs using OBJ nodes) to SOP level (setting up rigs using packed primitives).

Would be awesome. That's what kept me away from doing character animations in Houdini
FX Artist - Scanline VFX
101 posts
Andrea Sbabo
Daryl Dunlap

Would be awesome. That's what kept me away from doing character animations in Houdini

Cristin hinted at that in the 18 release video, so I guess there'll be quite a few things to see 18.5!!!
29 posts
If what you guys are saying is true, then it appears to be the best time for me to look for Maya replacement for my character animation pipeline I just hope they tweak the viewport responsiveness, transform handles in Houdini are really clunky compared to Maya ones.
833 posts
n2e
transform handles in Houdini are really clunky compared to Maya ones.

I gotta say that after using Blender, nobody even compares when it comes to Transform handles/usage. It's so incredibly well implemented that I wish every other developer would adopt the same exact system.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
29 posts
Midphase
n2e
transform handles in Houdini are really clunky compared to Maya ones.

I gotta say that after using Blender, nobody even compares when it comes to Transform handles/usage. It's so incredibly well implemented that I wish every other developer would adopt the same exact system.

nah, I don't agree. GRS system is too clicky and spread across the keyboard, which wouldn't be so bad if I had an option to change gizmo that way instead of having to follow the key with another one defining desired axis. I can touch type, but not with only my left hand. QWER feels much better with properly done viewport gizmos. And Blender's gizmos are bad too.
Edited by n2e - Sept. 25, 2020 11:43:01
201 posts
Midphase

What in particular do you like?
Manuel Köster - Senior Technical Artist @Remedy Entertainment

https://www.remedygames.com/ [www.remedygames.com]
http://shadesoforange.de/ [shadesoforange.de]
https://twitter.com/ShadesOfOrange_ [twitter.com]
833 posts
shadesoforange

For one the fact that no matter how close I am to the geometry, I can move/scale/rotate my object. In Houdini, if the Gnomon isn't visible and it's off to the side, that appears to be impossible to do (unless I've been missing an obvious solution all these years).

I also love that hitting the keyboard letter of the axis, restricts the move/scale/rotation to that particular axis. It's such an incredible time saver and it's so intuitive that I don't understand why others don't implement such a simple thing.

So basically, I can be inches from my model, Gnomon is way off screen, and just hit G and X for instance, and then move my object on the X axis with my mouse. Once you've used it, it's difficult to go back to anything else.

P.S.

I have many other gripes with Blender, but their Transform implementation is unmatched IMHO.
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
101 posts
Midphase
shadesoforange

I also love that hitting the keyboard letter of the axis, restricts the move/scale/rotation to that particular axis. It's such an incredible time saver and it's so intuitive that I don't understand why others don't implement such a simple thing.

This was the first thing I changed from their system back to the traditional axis/gimbal style. It's so confusing that the object does a transformation right away which you then have to restrict to the axis you want it to move. I don't want to look/think about the axis I want stuff to transform.
Edited by Sygnum - Sept. 25, 2020 15:15:05
8506 posts
Midphase
So basically, I can be inches from my model, Gnomon is way off screen, and just hit G and X for instance, and then move my object on the X axis with my mouse. Once you've used it, it's difficult to go back to anything else.
in my book XSI had the best transform handles
it could optionally always keep gizmo in the screen, and had lot of options to customize the behavior
also it had very easy access to changing various spaces, COG and temp snapping/aligning to anything
In my opinion the most advanced and user friendly feature rich handles I've ever used, it's hard to describe however as it's the whole fluidity and ease of use that came with it, as one can argue that Houdini has some spaces and some snapping/aligning options, the experience is far different, much more tedious and limited in Houdini unortunately
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
13 posts
Sygnum
Midphase
shadesoforange

This was the first thing I changed from their system back to the traditional axis/gimbal style. It's so confusing that the object does a transformation right away which you then have to restrict to the axis you want it to move. I don't want to look/think about the axis I want stuff to transform.

So you want it to transform itself. Blender does really have a more intuitive transform procedure, with CAD Transform addon it quite nice. In vanilla you can use middle mouse to transform the object in the general direction of the mouse movement or just shortcuts to restrict it by axis.
517 posts
tamte
Midphase
in my book XSI had the best transform handles
it could optionally always keep gizmo in the screen, and had lot of options to customize the behavior
also it had very easy access to changing various spaces, COG and temp snapping/aligning to anything
In my opinion the most advanced and user friendly feature rich handles I've ever used, it's hard to describe however as it's the whole fluidity and ease of use that came with it, as one can argue that Houdini has some spaces and some snapping/aligning options, the experience is far different, much more tedious and limited in Houdini unortunately

There was a really cool option that allowed you to assign a preferred transform and transform space to any object. So when selected it would switch. I found that really useful for character animation.

I currently have a really good rig in Houdini though and I’ve set up a lot of systems that I’d struggle with in other software. It’s great to hear the character side of things may get some more love though
Edited by peteski - Sept. 25, 2020 18:08:29
101 posts
BTW. Looks like Sidefx removed that post with the 18.5 screenshot and some replies to that
38 posts
yes, looks like removing posts with anything that was mentioning new features) but nvidia still keeps posts about 18.5

sorry for supersecret question, do anyone know at least some average date for presentation of some kind? or it will be posted like daily build with changelog text file inside
Edited by Erik Ws - Sept. 26, 2020 04:20:12
15 posts
JalexM
Hopefully it's announced this week! I hope KineFX has to do with character animation so I can ditch some other programs!
I see kinefx is in houdini 18.0
100 posts
JalexM
nnounced this week! I hope KineFX has to do with character animation so I can ditch some other programs!
this week ?
- David
  • Quick Links