Texture/Mask/Displacement Painting HDA, WIP

53666   199   11
136 posts
megger
That's really quite impressive. Did you handle the painting entirely through python? And what's the renderer? Mantra?

The built in houdini tools for that are quite lackluster as far as I know. And the drawcurve sop being the only real option for scattering like this, and that slows down to a crawl going upwards of 20 strokes.

I'd love to play around with this, if you need someone for beta testing. I'm an unchallenged expert in breaking things, haha.

Hey there !

You're message just popped up which is kinda strange as it was posted in between the rest but okay

Thanks ! You're expertise might come in handy ! I was thinking about asking people to test it the other day, but it's not quite there yet. Soon though !

The whole HDA is a mix of python and vex. I'm using Octane render.
136 posts
Bennell
I've uploaded this video to be clear about what I was talking about before which is scales stretching. The scales are green and the skin underneath is red to show the range of stretch. Would this still be possible with your HDA? The scales are geometry.

I think the workflow there would be to go for a T-pose kinda setup where the stretching is averaged, project the scales and then deform them.
75 posts
Deform them how?
136 posts
Bennell
Deform them how?
I meant deform the model ( just to be sure ) and the texture with the scale will just follow
136 posts

I'm making good progress :
In this video I'm using the scatter project mode and I'm using masks to control the density and draw order of the projections.
The red arrows are guides you can draw onto the surface to control orientation.

The heightmap intensity is also linked to the projection size. I have also added a preview mode which is pretty smooth

I've also been working on the history stack/undo in the manual projection mode, so that's working pretty smoothly now, you can now go back and continue projecting from wherever you are in the stack ( it deletes the strokes after the current one)
136 posts
*Added Color sampling
*Added random flipping of texture
*Added controls for random hue/sat/value

Edited by Wout Tengrootenhuysen - Sept. 12, 2020 08:55:54

Attachments:
10.jpg (287.1 KB)
11.jpg (339.3 KB)
12.jpg (345.8 KB)

75 posts
Can you do various scales like on this iguana's body and legs next?
Edited by Bennell - Sept. 12, 2020 09:22:45

Attachments:
Iguana3.jpg (1.6 MB)

136 posts
I was thinking about doing that as a test case ! thanks
75 posts
Any updates?
136 posts
Hi Bennell !

Nothing to show yet but making a lot of progress with auto intersecting scales ! Really cool. thanks for checking in !
75 posts
Can you implement what these papers describe in your HDA or do would they have to be implemented separately.
http://yutingye.info/Research_files/SIG15_texture.pdf [yutingye.info]
https://www.napier.ac.uk/~/media/worktribe/output-951565/real-time-variable-rigidity-texture-mapping.pdf [www.napier.ac.uk]
136 posts
Oh, not sure about that one. First things first, still figuring out a good and fast way for auto intersecting scales
136 posts
Here's a little update of where I'm at :

Attachments:
auto_intersect.png (783.2 KB)

75 posts
What's the progress so far?
136 posts
Hi Bennell,

it's going pretty well, I'm working on this every day, many hours. Nothing really new to show yet, I'll post something soon I hope
136 posts
Here's a WIP render to show where I'm at

Attachments:
iguanaV04.png (4.4 MB)

142 posts
Ola Wout ! Here you have some Fun stuff that can Help You with your Asset .Maybe it Helps Who knows !!!??
LINK TO TOPIC [forums.odforce.net]

Attachments:
2544444.jpg (264.0 KB)

136 posts
Hey there Mr Librarian ! That screenshot looks nice and clean ! Where is it exactly, I clicked the link but it doesn't seem to be on there ? Thanks !
75 posts
Hi Wout,

I've noticed six scales connected to each other on the mouth. Other than that, keep it up!
  • Quick Links