Procedural neuron growth meshing issues

2239   4   2
3 posts
Hello everyone,

I started a project where my end goal is to create a fully procedural neural system. I somewhat achieved that through the use of for loops, voronoi, and findshortestpath node. What I'm struggling with is actually getting the shape of the neuron itself correct.

For the findshortest path node I use two start points that then connect to the corresponding end points, and then just connect the two end points with a cconnectadjacentpieces node. By this point it's all looking good, but the problem arises when I try to mesh it. I set my polywire wire radius based on a vop that uses curveu as the main attribute. What that does is that it deforms both start points simultaneously instead of separately, like I'd need it to since a neuron has a single bulbous end (nucleus), stem coming from it (neural axon) and then connecting to the other (non-bulbous end) with tendrils growing out of it.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to adjust the shape of both of the start points separately. I'm attaching some snaps showcasing what I'm talking about as well as the hip file.

Would be immensely glad for some help!

Image Not Found
Edited by Palexs - Oct. 17, 2020 06:51:16

Attachments:
Neural_network_example_file_v001.hipnc (358.6 KB)
explanation.jpg (283.2 KB)
wireframe.JPG (85.1 KB)
neuron structure.jpg (21.9 KB)

255 posts
Hola

If i didn t read too fast, you may want to compute the middle axis of the connecting points and doing a linear interpolation base on the curveu position.

Here's a simple example for you, hope it will helps you Palexs

Attachments:
uweb_connection_example.hipnc (336.0 KB)

Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
3 posts
Thank you vinyvince, but I don't think that's what I really need? I have no problems with getting my points to connect in the position I need. It's more about having the ability to control the shape of both ends of the neuron separately from each other. Maybe I didn't quite get what you meant? I was thinking something more along the lines of this. I seem to be getting there somewhat, but would still be open to ideas!
Edited by Palexs - Oct. 17, 2020 13:12:14

Attachments:
image_2020-10-17_181206.png (542.0 KB)

255 posts
I see better, was too quick and being busy on my side working also an alien biological strange specie..

Can t you just add a resample after creating the connection line with curveu checked , change the attribute name, group that line so later you could split the two family of curves with corresponding uv value to control how thick you want, or more interesting where is your start and end so you will know where to build the tendril part?
v*
Vincent Thomas   (VFX and Art since 1998)
Senior Env and Lighting  artist & Houdini generalist & Creative Concepts
http://fr.linkedin.com/in/vincentthomas [fr.linkedin.com]
3 posts
Ohh! That sounds quite interesting! Will try and see how it goes!
  • Quick Links