volume source problem

1462   6   1
237 posts
please could anyone have a look at the attached file?
I dont find the mistake. Its an absolute basic setup from mapping the vel from a a smokesim to an particlefluid.
I dont find the mistake. Maybe I searched to long…
Already unhided the old node for being sure that everything from the other stuff is working. Dont get it to work with the volumesource. Aldo take care for vel and v … hmm.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
part_flip_sim_18.1.hip (1.7 MB)

856 posts
I did some stuff, not sure which one was the issue but now it's working.

Attachments:
part_flip_sim_18.1.hiplc (2.7 MB)

--
Jobless
237 posts
well, its working. yes - but without converting the smoke to a vdb it will not. It should work as with the old sourcevolume without converting the velbase to a vdb. I just dont know why it dont do as it should…
Edited by Follyx - Nov. 7, 2020 08:12:38
856 posts
add “vel.x vel.y vel.z” in the source field parm if you don't use vdbs
--
Jobless
237 posts
ok, fine thank you. But your first way with the vdbs is the usual way, isnt it?
856 posts
I dunno, I think I've used both but tbh I can't remember that I ever had to use this notation before. I had to play around with it a little. There aren't many reasons to use houdini volumes over vdb these days I think. For what it's worth you can use volume compress with them and change the bit depth to save a little disk space.
Edited by Soothsayer - Nov. 7, 2020 12:56:46
--
Jobless
237 posts
ok, I see. Nevertheless an interesting theme… so what would be your action i.e. in this scene to map the velocity to the paricle fluid? Or do you use a complete different approach for a scene like this…. I mean its a really open field for a setup like this with such an final behaviour in production, isnt it? Intersted heavily in different approaches.
Edited by Follyx - Nov. 8, 2020 03:17:01
  • Quick Links