Is there a 'light matte' equivalent to the 'shadow matte'?

1384   6   1
9 posts
Pretty much what the title says. I was wondering if anyone had some insights as to how to render light that is affecting walls, floors and other objects into their own pass? I am not looking to render the lighting itself per say, just how it affects other objects in the scene and not the geometry it is affecting. I would love to have these be in their own output images as well for compositing purposes.

Still learning Mantra passes so I apologize if this is a stupid question. Thank you for your insights!
Edited by paper_krane - Nov. 10, 2020 15:03:07
7733 posts
paper_krane
I am not looking to render the lighting itself per say, just how it affects other objects in the scene and not the geometry it is affecting.

Not sure what you mean, as those are the same thing. The lighting is how it affects objects in the scene.
9 posts
I guess what I am trying to do is simply make a light matte like you can a shadow matte (like the results of the shadow matte but for light). I just don't know how to create a light matte / pass.

I am attempting to composite an ethereal glowing orb into a video scene and would love to capture the light being emitted in a light matte and then composite it over my footage to help blend the effect in.

Does this make more sense?
7733 posts
You can export the contribution of one or more lights to separate passes if that's what you mean. The desired passes can then be plussed with the plate.
9 posts
Ok so I think I found it. The direct lighting passes in Mantra's extra image plains right?

I had tried them before with really no results, I must of just needed to refresh my render. Thanks for this!
8513 posts
usually you do that with white diffuse material on the geometry and then per light exports (if your glowing orb is geometry light also)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
9 posts
tamte
usually you do that with white diffuse material on the geometry and then per light exports (if your glowing orb is geometry light also)

That is it! Perfect! I just tested it and that is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much everyone!
  • Quick Links