error duplicating shader prim

1560   2   0
31 posts
Hi,

I'm debugging an issue in our pipeline and think I might have tracked it down to this:

When duplicating a (redshift) material primitive I'm getting an error (see screenshot) plus a warning saying that the chosen primitive is no movable primitive.

If I render without the duplicate node my scene looks fine, but if I use (or even edit) the duplicated material afterwards things are getting funky (some textures not working anymore on the shader).

- Why does Solaris have a problem with duplicating shaders (or prims that have no transform)?
- Is there a better way of creating a copy that is still linked to a material “above” - so when the “above” material changes, the copy will so too?
Edited by Marco Dörner - Nov. 17, 2020 12:53:42

Attachments:
houAAA.png (225.7 KB)

Staff
4435 posts
I'm assuming you're using a Duplicate LOP for this?

I don't know where that error message is coming from. It's not part of the duplicate step, it is instead related to the translation of a VOP network to USD primitives. If you could attach a hip file someone here could take a look at why that error is being triggered. I also can't guess why the duplicate materials might now be working. In my simple test case with a USD Preview Surface material I was able to use and modify the duplicates successfully. I guess the problem may depend on how you are trying to modify the duplicates, so again a hip file would be useful.

The “transformable” warning (not an error, and you can safely ignore it) is because the Duplicate LOP tries to apply a transformation to each duplicate. There's really no value to that warning, so I'll look into suppressing it.
31 posts
Thanks. The error doesn't show up consistently so maybe it's independent of what I'm doing. The material error by now I could pinpoint to a redshift-bug (I think - unless they tell me otherwise ; ) )
  • Quick Links