Is this way ok for modeling

1881   4   1
33 posts
So i understand there a loads of ways to do something. I'm not super good with procedural so I'm trying all kinds of things. I've done this with boxes and extrudes but didn't get the greatest results somehow. Now I've created lines and extruded them and it seems fine. Is this an ok way to do this? Thanks

See attached.

Attachments:
2020-11-17.png (617.4 KB)

340 posts
There is no problem modeling from lines, but the rules of good topology still apply. You can sometimes ignore these rules if you will not be subdividing the model, as is often done with booles and looping. Your model has ngons, which I would avoid personally.
33 posts
Island
There is no problem modeling from lines, but the rules of good topology still apply. You can sometimes ignore these rules if you will not be subdividing the model, as is often done with booles and looping. Your model has ngons, which I would avoid personally.

This is fantastic feedback. I've done it with a box, then extrude etc. I get the booles but not sure what you mean by looping or ngons.
320 posts
tri(s) are 3 sided polygons
quads are 4 sided polygons which are preferred
ngons are 5 or more sided polygons which are not preferred.

with good polygon topology you won't get any strange artifacts when you render. artifacts such as creases in middle of a polygon
340 posts
You can visualize your topology in Houdini to check for quads:
Edited by Island - Nov. 19, 2020 12:19:30

Attachments:
2020-11-19_09-18-28.jpg (360.0 KB)

• Quick Links