Need suggestions on how to procedurally model this

1079   2   0
5 posts
Hello Everyone!

I'm currently in the process of learning houdini, and working on a little procedural project to practice. (see image attached) - i've built this house primarily based on lines and skinning, with only the windows and doors being seperate geometry that i made to add to it.

However i've run into some limitations with the process i've used up until now with this house. What i'm working on creating is a walkway out front reference [i.kinja-img.com], that is meant to follow the walls of the house (the shape), but haven't been able to figure out a way on how to do this.

What ways would i be able to accomplish this, and on top make them procedural? the more ways the better, it's exciting to learn new techniques and approaches!
WIP
Edited by Alemira - Nov. 19, 2020 16:20:51

Attachments:
western_project.jpg (240.2 KB)

53 posts
Probably not the answer you want, it costs money, but I went through this when it was on his pateron page before he took everything off to buy only. I remember it being pretty good https://www.mixtrn.com/procedural-modeling-for-film-and-video-games [www.mixtrn.com]

Edit: It is hard to say without seeing your file one how to go about it. Just riffing, if you had a second floor “floor” geo, you could group by unshared edges, extrude those edges, then a delete sop with a bounding box that covers the back side? Not extremely procedural. From there you could break out your points in the front of the building by making a “front” group in your extrude node and copy to points the beams. If any of this makes sense.
Edited by animationalex - Nov. 19, 2020 21:33:46
5 posts
animationalex
Probably not the answer you want, it costs money, but I went through this when it was on his pateron page before he took everything off to buy only. I remember it being pretty good https://www.mixtrn.com/procedural-modeling-for-film-and-video-games [www.mixtrn.com]

Edit: It is hard to say without seeing your file one how to go about it. Just riffing, if you had a second floor “floor” geo, you could group by unshared edges, extrude those edges, then a delete sop with a bounding box that covers the back side? Not extremely procedural. From there you could break out your points in the front of the building by making a “front” group in your extrude node and copy to points the beams. If any of this makes sense.

sorry for the late reply, i ended up being sick the next day haha. i think i've tried something similar as to what you described but had the issue of the diagonal side not connecting with the other two sides. I've sort of worked out a way of getting the shapes, boards and all that at the levels i want, main issue is i'm missing a way of making the beams/boards uniform.

Whats the best way of sharing files on here, if you'd be interested in playing around in them a bit
  • Quick Links