Multiple Vellum Copies Point Deforming High Res Geo [SOLVED]

4916   15   3
78 posts
Crosspost from Odforce as I hadn't found a solution:

I have a Vellum setup that is working great, until I change one small parameter...

• I'm using an initial RBD sim to hover 4 low res objects in a big group in the air.
  • I then turn those objects into Vellum cloth, so I can drop them in a big bouncy pile on the ground.
  • Lastly I deform the 4 low res objects with a Point Deform SOP onto the high res geometry.

This works totally fine when I only scatter one of each object.
The problem quickly appears when I scatter more than one of each object in the initial floating RBD pile.

I sort of understand why this is happening, but I can't get my head around fixing this procedurally.

I think the high res objects can't be moved into the position of the low res geo because (once scattering more than one of each object) there is no longer a name (or class?) to define each and every object independently.

I am stumped in finding a way to fix this sensibly without me having to manually make multiple copies of each object with independent naming. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Scene file attached.
Edited by GlennimusPrime - May 3, 2021 06:41:09

Attachments:
Vellum_Low_To_High_Res_Deform.hip (1.7 MB)

555 posts
here's my best attempt.

- obviously when you switch to ‘many’ option, your 04_prep_initial_Start_Positions is out of whack coz it always remains on 4 !!

- so in my file, it will match up the initial positions if you pick the more than 4 option

- however I cannot figure out (is it a bug?) why there is an offset in the copy to points, they don't match the pos exactly, only when you turn off Transform Using Target Point Orientations that is gets the pos correct but then the upshot is it loses the orientation !!! between rbdpacked onbject/dopimport/copytopoints I think something is not syncing up perfectly.

Attachments:
hires.jpg (230.7 KB)
vu_Vellum_Low_To_High_Res_Deform.hipnc (1.1 MB)

78 posts
Hi vusta, thanks for taking a look. This version isn't working at all I'm afraid.

The initial start position / rotation for the high res geo does not match the low res version.

Also, the point deform on the last step does not work, because it is looking for the piece attribute ‘class’ to match the low res deformation to the high res.

This is the biggest problem, because each of the low res copies must deform each of the high res individually. I can't have cross deformation of objects using the point deform, hence utilising the piece attribute.
555 posts
as i said, turn OFF Transform Using Target Point Orientations, it will match positions.
78 posts
Hi vusta, for this to work both the rotation and position must match in order for the point deform to work further down the line.

Thanks for giving this a go, but unfortunately this isn't quite the answer I was looking for.
555 posts
GlennimusPrime
Hi vusta, for this to work both the rotation and position must match in order for the point deform to work further down the line.

Thanks for giving this a go, but unfortunately this isn't quite the answer I was looking for.
my god, read my post, I said very clearly the upshot is you lose the orientation.

You're welcome. Sheesh.
555 posts
on the left, no orientation, on the right, fixed.

(ignore, wrong file attached)
Edited by vusta - Dec. 2, 2020 20:39:05

Attachments:
fix.jpg (215.2 KB)

78 posts
Apologies not trying to sound ungrateful, it's just not the answer to my question at all I'm afraid.

Further down the line, the low res vellum must be able to use the class attribute on the objects to help deform the low res to the high res geometry.

I don't know what that file is you just uploaded either?
555 posts
oh…it would help if I attach the right file!!! pls excuse my trigger finger

This should be the right one.

Attachments:
vu_Vellum_Low_To_High_Res_Deform_orient.hipnc (1.1 MB)

78 posts
The orient transfer did the trick!

Just one crucial factor remains, and that is somehow creating independent class attributes when the objects are scattered - Furthermore the low and high res objects must have the same class.

Without these attributes, the point deform on the last step cannot differentiate between all the objects with the same class attribute name.

eg. a new and unique class name for different copies of objects:
High res box1 = class1 / low res box1 = class1
High res box2 = class2 / low res box2 = class2
High res torus1 = class3 / low res torus1 = class3
High res sphere1 = class4 / low res sphere1 = class4
High res cylinder1 = class5 / low res cylinder1 = class5
High res cylinder2 = class6 / low res cylinder2 = class6

This is certainly a tough one. I haven't looked into what is capable of the copy to points sop, but maybe there is a sort of attribute copy + add number feature?
555 posts
I do get the jitters but I don't get your mess tho…
Edited by vusta - Dec. 2, 2020 22:23:02

Attachments:
jitters.gif (264.6 KB)

555 posts
there's also this thread if you want to dig deeper

https://forums.odforce.net/topic/46247-using-point-deform/?tab=comments#comment-216524 [forums.odforce.net]
78 posts
Thanks for your help vusta, I'll take a look at this thread.
555 posts
no jitters in this one…but there's still some weird movement.

Attachments:
vu_Vellum_Low_To_High_Res_Deform_NoJitters.hipnc (1.1 MB)

159 posts
GlennimusPrime
Thanks for your help vusta, I'll take a look at this thread.
Hello people!

GlennimusPrime, have you found a solution to this setup? I have the same situation here.
78 posts
I actually ended up doing something slightly different to what I was initially going for here. Instead of starting with a random pile of vellum objects, I ended up going with a method that randomly spawns the low res vellum objects, then in the last step I transfer the low res dynamic animation back onto the high res geo.

I'm sorry I don't have time at the moment to fully explain my process (and I have certainly forgotten how this all came together), but I will attach my file that works fine for me. You will have to step through from step 1-6 and re-cache the parts you need to before running the sim.

I recall there is a second popnet during the process that is used to solely create the rest position for each newly spawned vellum object. I remember that part being the most difficult to get right, but I think I solved it with some help here from Vusta and some other helpful folk over on the OdForce forums.

This was built to randomly emit 20 or so different pieces of food, so you may want to cut this process down a little if it is too big.

The final result: https://youtu.be/fnsrkO3Sg90 [youtu.be]
Edited by GlennimusPrime - May 3, 2021 06:40:37

Attachments:
Food_Random_Vellum_Emission_v04.hiplc (4.5 MB)

• Quick Links