Import image w/Transparent Background

5474   4   0
310 posts
Hello, I'm trying to import an image with a transparent background into Houdini. I close the background layer in Photoshop and save as a PNG. I can import the PNG into Houdini, but rather than the background being completely transparent, it is simply black, and cuts off anything behind it. If anyone knows a work around, I would definitely appreciate it.

Thanks!
710 posts
Hi Midasssilver,
In the Composite Viewer you can hit Ctrl+Shift+T to toggle transparency.
29 posts
Hi DaJuice,

Does this actually change any attributes? I want to generate points using a PNG, but I don't want any points scattered in the areas that should be transparent. The images is kind of dark, so masking out absolute black isn't really an option because I'd like to keep any absolute black values within the image. Thanks!
1 posts
Will it change the look? I want to generate data using PNG, but I do not want local information to be clear. It's no secret to hide black because you do not like to keep the black standard in shape because it looks dark. Thank you!
MegaBox HD APK [megaboxhdapk.com]
Exiled Ros [hax4you.me]
Edited by rahulkunal - Jan. 2, 2021 08:58:33
731 posts
Take a look at the attribfrommap SOP. In it you can specify a channel as the texture channel. I tried an exr and it worked fine, (using "A" for alpha in the "Texture Channel" field), I assume it will work on a png. You can either take this node apart and see how it works, or simply take one for RGB and one for Alpha and mult the point colors together and then use that as a scatter.
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
  • Quick Links