Supercharged H20 extension (TouchDesigner Style)

27397   92   8
4486 posts

https://gum.co/fxsup [gum.co]
patreon.com/posts/32321342

I made a number of modifications to the standard Houdini GUI that focuses on increasing the productivity by maximizing the screen estate to its limits. Here are some of the changes:

1. Network editor is an overlay over the viewport or the render view, depending on what's visible. It allows working with the network editor while simultaneously seeing the result of the node network, with configurable opacity settings (0.25, 0.5, 0.75, 1). The network editor can be toggled away from and into the viewport using a single key.

2. The whole application is in full screen mode, that eliminates the taskbar and the titlebar of the application.

3. The status bar is at the top inline with the main menu bar.

4. The shelf is completely outside the visible screen space. It can be accessed using the viewport TAB menu instead.

Special thanks to Jason Iversen for his overlay network editor sketch.
Edited by animatrix_ - Nov. 11, 2023 14:16:14
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | animatrix2k7.gumroad.com
833 posts
Interesting. So this is available through your Patreon page? Would you consider selling it through Gumroad?
>>Kays
For my Houdini tutorials and more visit:
https://www.youtube.com/c/RightBrainedTutorials [www.youtube.com]
4486 posts
Midphase
Interesting. So this is available through your Patreon page? Would you consider selling it through Gumroad?

Thanks sure it should be doable Let me get back to you on that.
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

806 posts
That looks VERY useful!

For me, the best investment was a monitor with enough real-estate to allow for space-intense software (DAWs, Houdini) to take their space, but THIS makes me reconsider :-) *1
Patreon is a strict no-go for me, but I really love the approach you take in your videos. “Right up my alley” is what they say, I think.

If you should ever be in Germany or UK/London, let me know and at least the first round is on me!
(If you have a tip-jar outside those platforms, I'm happy to flip over something!)

Marc

*1 I'd still love to see Houdini to better cater for multi-monitor setups. Why not make better use of 3 or 4 screens, allow for more individual settings “per screen” etc. But here's not the place to moan about that, is it.
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
527 posts
Thanks for blowing my mind! I wish I was working like this right meow.
soho vfx
4486 posts
malbrecht
That looks VERY useful!

For me, the best investment was a monitor with enough real-estate to allow for space-intense software (DAWs, Houdini) to take their space, but THIS makes me reconsider :-) *1
Patreon is a strict no-go for me, but I really love the approach you take in your videos. “Right up my alley” is what they say, I think.

If you should ever be in Germany or UK/London, let me know and at least the first round is on me!
(If you have a tip-jar outside those platforms, I'm happy to flip over something!)

Marc

*1 I'd still love to see Houdini to better cater for multi-monitor setups. Why not make better use of 3 or 4 screens,
allow for more individual settings “per screen” etc. But here's not the place to moan about that, is it.

Thanks so much, much appreciated

Wren
Thanks for blowing my mind! I wish I was working like this right meow.

Thanks a lot Wren Also please submit an RFE to SESI if you wanna see this as a feature in H19. SESI is good at listening artist feedback

1265 posts
This is soooo cool animatrix! Well done mate.

Not to take away from your income, but I think this should be built in to Houdini as an option…for the Network Editor, as well as curves from the animation Editor.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
4486 posts
Werner Ziemerink
This is soooo cool animatrix! Well done mate.

Not to take away from your income, but I think this should be built in to Houdini as an option…for the Network Editor, as well as curves from the animation Editor.

Thanks a lot Werner, I would be happy if SESI implemented this actually They are more than welcome to use my code, idea or workflow

37 posts
I would pick it up if it were on gumroad as well. Houdini is great but for some things there is way too much mouse travel.
4486 posts
jandress
I would pick it up if it were on gumroad as well. Houdini is great but for some things there is way too much mouse travel.

Thanks a lot jandress Considerable number of people have emailed me about gumroad availability, so expect something very soon

4486 posts
There has been a lot of changes since the last time I posted here, but some recent changes

1. Double click empty area to select nearest node

2. Drop on Wire capabilities for newly created nodes via the hotkey system

3. Object Merge Inputs / Outputs:

4. Camera lock indicator:

85 posts
Great!

Few questions:
  • Have you solved the fullscreen menu misalignment problem?
  • Does the parameter editor popup in the overlay network with the P hotkey? Scene viewer only fullscreen mode would be great.
  • I think this GUI mod could work well as a Labs feature, is there any chance?
artstation.com/scivfx
4486 posts
Thanks!

1. Do you mean the main menu bar? In the latest version the main menu bar is also hidden. Crucial features in the main menu bar is replaced with alternate implementations such as the Recently Opened Files tool, which works better with tablets.

But Qt fullscreen seems to be broken in Houdini 18.5. SESI is aware of the issue. Hopefully they will fix it. Unfortunately Qt fullscreen is not an officially supported feature by SESI right now.

2. Yes you can work like that without any issues. I posted a screenshot for this a while back:

3. I sent SESI the entire source code, so it's up to SESI to decide if they want to add this as an option

320 posts
that looks really cool.
4486 posts
Thanks, if you want to see this in H19, feel free to send an RFE to SESI

Apart from the obvious space savings, particularly on smaller displays such as on laptops, it has just as much benefits on larger displays. Right now I am using it with a 32" Asus ProArt PA32UCX-P, and it's even better than my old dual 30" monitor setup.

One big advantage with a single display using this setup, regardless of display size is the ergonomics, where you don't want to constantly turn your head side to side to look at the viewport and then the network editor, and so on. You look at the same place for both the result and the network editor, which I call "zero head travel (tm)"

You can also switch the viewport to a render view so you can work seamlessly while interactively rendering. Of course the same thing can be applied to other viewers such as Composite viewer.

A lot of thought went into designing this system and I am constantly refining it on the go, when I have new ideas, and some time to implement them.

320 posts
I put in an RFE for this.
4 posts
is this tool in your patreon for H18.5 ?

Thank you..
4486 posts
Telefon Doma
is this tool in your patreon for H18.5 ?

Thank you..

Hi it's but I have to update it regularly because it gets updated almost daily sometimes. Also some builds of H18.5 have certain qt issues on some OSes. Even graphics drivers can make a big difference, but this is qt.

Otherwise it's all good. And the system is open to make custom changes to any part but it could take some effort depending on the person's python/qt skill levels.

4 posts
So you mean is cheaper to buy on Gumroad for 49 USD rather than on Patreon for 29 USD because the tool is not functional whit all Houdini versions , and not to pay X months 29 USD to get it working ? So on Gumroad you will update it and once i get it from Patreon there will be no updates for the tool if i don't pay another 29 USD for the month you fix it ?

Thank you.
37 posts
Does this work with the Python3 builds of Houdini?
  • Quick Links