How to rename HDA?

14754   7   3
27 posts
Hello, I've created a digital asset but somehow I need to rename it for a better name, but the name field in the Type Properties window is greyed out.

I tried using the Edit Content function in Operator Type Manager, but the name always changed back to its origin name which was given when the HDA was created. The doc just mentioned it was very hard to change the name after creating the HDA.
Does anyone has a simple way to change it?
7024 posts
All you can do is Copy it, and create the new name while copying it. Then delete the old one.

Cheers,

peter B
639 posts
Funny. I didn't realized it was that easy. I used to crack open the otl and change the internal name in 3 files + 1 directory, then close it again. coping otl was much easier!

Thanks, Peter!
537 posts
When I've done this I've also needed to replace all of the instances in nested DA's (where the re-named asset was used) with the different definition.

I'm not sure if there's an easier or automatic way to do this, but “change definition” will keep the settings on the parameters unless those have changed as well. Then you would need to update (type properties/accept) the changes of those assets as well.

It's difficult when making nested assets to know exactely how to categorize them ahead of time
Staff
3455 posts
when changing this like this I'll load the new OTL, then use the Operator Type Manager > “Use This Definition”…that will change all the instances…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
537 posts
Will this change all instances in nested DA's … say I'm using one DA in 20 other DA's. Will this go through and update the name/definition in all the other DA's, or would those need to be open for editing and in the scene.

(I'm not at Houdini right now)
Staff
3455 posts
all the instances of an HDA stem from one definition - that will be listed in the Operator Type Manager…
you might have more than one definition for a single type of HDA, so the names here will be color coded…red means it's not used etc…
if you RMB on a definition you'll see a list of options, one of which is “use this definition”
because ALL the instances in a session come from only one definition, changing the definition uaed will change all the instances…

it wont change the name of the instance, or any of the parameters…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
27 posts
pbowmar
All you can do is Copy it, and create the new name while copying it. Then delete the old one.

Cheers,

peter B

I've ended up expanding the otl and change the name and path inside the files and dir….
Thanks Peter, copying is much easier! : P

Wesley
  • Quick Links