Mini Farm with Houdini Indie License bought on Steam

2554   4   1
22 posts
Hi,

I'm getting terribly confused with what license I need to create a mini-farm to rendering on Mantra and do distributed simulations. I bought a Houdini Indie License on Steam, I'm not sure how this changes the setup for installing the HQueue Server/clicent or its even possible anymore since the license is bought on Steam and not on SideFX's website.

Can someone shed some light onto this?
Any knowledge would be appreciated!

If I had bought the license from SideFX's website, would this setup be simplier? And how many Houdini Indie licenses would need to be purchased in order to run a 2-3 computer farm?

THanks in advance!
2 posts
I'm also wondering how to set up a 2 PC farm with the Steam version of Indie. I've been trying to get Deadline working, but computer B is hitting me with the "No licenses could be found to run this application" error. Opening Houdini on either PC works fine.
125 posts
You get 3 Houdini Engine indie licenses for free, you can use those to render. Install them on the relevant computers with License Manager.

If you don't get license manager with the Steam version, I would just download Houdini the regular way on the machines that are going to render.
Edited by Heileif - Jan. 17, 2022 13:41:36
22 posts
Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out!
2 posts
Thanks Heileif. I was able to get a render node going by doing this;

* Get a SideFX account and add a Engine license to it on the SideFX website
* Run steamapps\common\Houdini Indie\bin\hkey.exe
* Since the Steam installation doesn't seem include the license server service (sesintd)...
* In hkey; File -> Change Server, point it to the SideFX server (meaning you need to be online to use the node)
* Activate your Houdini Engine licenses in hkey
* (In my case) point Deadline to steamapps\common\Houdini Indie\bin\Hython.exe
Edited by bzxo - Jan. 17, 2022 20:48:24
  • Quick Links