Can I create my own public package on Indie License?

1057   2   2
122 posts
Hi!

I'm wondering how can I create my own package (like Labs or mops) on Indie license?
As far as I know .hdalc files cant' be used on other licences so if I publish my package on guthub for example the included otls can be available only for indie users.

Is that true? If so how can I create a public package on indie?
359 posts
Yeah, the way licensing works, unless you publish your HDAs to Orbolt they'll be stuck with the same license you're using. So anyone downloading your HDAs would have to either be Indie users, or allow their sessions to be downgraded to Indie. Orbolt is the sole exception, they'll convert an Indie HDA to an FX HDA if it's downloaded through their system.

The downside of course is that Orbolt doesn't distribute packages, it distributes HDAs. The one workaround I can think of is that you could package up all of your HDAs into a single HDA file (it's possible to store multiple asset definitions within a single file) and distribute that via Orbolt, but again, because it isn't a package you wouldn't be able to include things like external Python modules or panels or whatever.
MOPs (Motion Operators for Houdini): http://www.motionoperators.com [www.motionoperators.com]
122 posts
Thanks toadstorm! Yeah, that's unfortunate. I can't even unpack hda (hotl just can't do it on "non commercial" hdas). So looks like indie just isn't the option for public package development.
  • Quick Links